• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan N

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All
I'm not sure if this goes here. So do any of you guys use Triple Seven or Pyrodex in your flintlocks? Is black powder the best to use?
Thanks Stan

ONLY way to get reliable (or any) ignition is to use a 10 grain or so "prime of BP then load the remainder of your load in 777 or pyrodex and many here do this.

Pyrodex is more difficult to ignite compared to black and 777 is tougher than Pyro.

As suggested you can (prime) down the tube with real black followed by the subs, but if you have to buy black to prime with I don't see why you wouldn't just shoot with it.

If you are in a total bind you might use Pyro P (which is equivalent to 3F) and might work for you but real black is always preferred.

BP is best for a Flintlock. I have several pounds of Pyrodex I bought for 5.00 a pound. NOT HUNTING I use it once in a while to save on real BP. Just use 10 grains or so as was stated down the barrel first to get the Pyrodex going. EXAMPLE--If you shoot an 80 gr load use 10 grains of 2 or 3f then 70 grs of Pyrodex or 777 or whatever. NOT smokeless of course. :) Use the BP for prime. Larry

Stan:

The ignition temp is a bit higher on the BP substitutes making it difficult to ignite with rock and steel. It will only frustrate you as you begin your journey with flintlocks.

Stick to the real Black Powder and be happy.

Just find a couple of buddies and go in on a case order. It's affordable that way, you'll get plenty of powder, you can mix the order with 2F trough 4f and it's fun to have a beer with your buddies when it's time to divvy up the order.

Rio

Yea thanks guys . It sounds like BP is the way to go. I shoot that in my 50. This is my first flintlock so that's Y I'm asking so many questions about it. I've seen a lot of guys shooting them and the bug just hit me one day so I got one.
Stan

I don't much care for proydex a and never tried 777, but I do have some proydex and made the mistake of trying it in a flinter. Had it in a horn and forgot to change it out before taking it to a camp. Only shot 50% of the time or less. I found it will shoot with the kicker of black loaded first if I need to. I even load the kicker in my nipple huggers if I'm using them.

azmntman said:
ONLY way to get reliable (or any) ignition is to use a 10 grain or so "prime of BP then load the remainder of your load in 777 or pyrodex and many here do this.

I have more Pyrodex than BP, so I use the same kicker charge poured down the bore then the Pyrodex poured atop it. Accuracy is identical to my 100% BP loads, and I've never had a misfire.

I just got my first flintlock also (GPR 50cal). I't been since the mid 90's since i shot black powder.

I did not realize how hard it is to find black powder locally, i can't find it, no local shops carry it so i may have to look online. That means bulk purchase and hazmat charges on shipping.

What about Blackhorn 209? Can this be used in a flintlock? One shop has it here. Anyone tried it?

PowderMonkey said:
I just got my first flintlock also (GPR 50cal). I't been since the mid 90's since i shot black powder.

I did not realize how hard it is to find black powder locally, i can't find it, no local shops carry it so i may have to look online. That means bulk purchase and hazmat charges on shipping.

I could be mistaken but it was my understanding you could only possess 1# of real BP at a time in CA.
What about Blackhorn 209? Can this be used in a flintlock? One shop has it here. Anyone tried it?

PowderMonkey said:

Living in Kalifornia makes it hard. :(
Mebbe get some friends to share cost of a bulk purchase.

Back