• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drill Jig or Not to Drill Jig...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been contemplating buying a drill press to do my pins, tang bolt, etc. However, I've seen a couple pics of guys using a nifty drill jig that aligns the holes. Now to my question(s):

1. I see how this could be effective for doing pins and underlugs, but what about tang bolts, lock plates, etc?

2. If the answer is yes to the above question, where can a guy get one of these neat little jigs?

In essence, I'd like to forgo buying a drill press and substitute it with this jig. And yes, I know guys who do all of this with handtools, but that ain't me :bow: Thanks!

I bought a drill jig as pictutred below and actually tried to use it and found it to be much more complicated and time consuming than just using my drillpress. The pictured jig comes w/ a number of long drills and can be used for bbl lugs, RR pipes, tang bolt and lockbolt holes. It presently just decorates my shop wall.

I mounted a reinforced 3/4" thick x 2' x 4-1/2' sheet of plywood unto the DP table and drill all the 1/16 dia bbl lug holes in one setup and also all the 1/16 dia holes for the RR pipes in a separate setup. The tang bolt and lock bolt holes are drilled w/o a jig and have always come out alright.

A drill press is a "handy" machine....seeing I don't have a lathe, it's put to good use doing simple operations including polishing and turning down pins....in addition to drilling holes.

I guess it depends on one's skill level and these drill "jigs" might be the best route for some.....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that beats a drill press, is 2 of them. I have the drill jig pictured & 2 I made long ago, but I still do the Tang & Lockscrews in the drill press. They have a Delta one at Lowes for about ? 129. or so, it will do allot for you. My drillpress vice cost almost as much as the drill press, but it was well worth it..... The cheap drillpress vices suck, they are sloppy & come apart easily.

Drill press, food controlled switch to kick it on & off with gives you Both hands free(Woodcrafts), and a adjustable roller to support the forestock..... Then you are good to go.

Keith Lisle

I appreciate the feedback gents! Looks like I'll be shopping for a drill press then...

I wish I had a drill press. I bought one of those AL. channel drill jigs. It works but not perfectly.

Just make sure the drill press you buy has room for the guide spike, work piece and bit between the chuck and table. I had the wallet out to buy a bench top model and just caught my mistake at the last second. The other thing is to bring a dial indicator and a piece of straight rod. measure chuck run out. Out of any 10 presses one will be much better then the rest at almost any price point.

Yeah, I have an old Craftmen radial arm drill press and use it almost as much as the lathe and milling machine. Can't imagine not having it. I use a wood dowel connected to the switch in back and run through a wire loop up by the head stock so I can turn it off and on with my teeth.
Usually both hands are occupied when using a drill press. Mike D.

I made one out of a bolt and a couple of washers.

Here's a link where I got the basic pattern from.

I made the "pointed end" a little longer than in this design, but works the same way. Think it cost about 20 cents for the bolt, ditto for a couple of washers and ground the point on the grinder. (drill press jig)

duelist1954 said:
I use this R.E. Davis fixture on my drill press for drilling barrel pins and the tang bolt. It works flawlessly.

I highly recommend it
http://www.redaviscompany.com/0883.html[/quote]

I just use a carriage bolt, some flat washers and a nut. Under $2 at most hardware stores.
Oh, and grind a point on the belt sander.
Interesting thing is the point on the bolt doesn't have to be centered, handy if it is and easy enough but what matters is the point of the blot meeting the point of the drill bit.
It's all in the set up.

flehto said:
I bought a drill jig as pictutred below and actually tried to use it and found it to be much more complicated and time consuming than just using my drillpress. The pictured jig comes w/ a number of long drills and can be used for bbl lugs, RR pipes, tang bolt and lockbolt holes. It presently just decorates my shop wall.

I mounted a reinforced 3/4" thick x 2' x 4-1/2' sheet of plywood unto the DP table and drill all the 1/16 dia bbl lug holes in one setup and also all the 1/16 dia holes for the RR pipes in a separate setup. The tang bolt and lock bolt holes are drilled w/o a jig and have always come out alright.

A drill press is a "handy" machine....seeing I don't have a lathe, it's put to good use doing simple operations including polishing and turning down pins....in addition to drilling holes.

I guess it depends on one's skill level and these drill "jigs" might be the best route for some.....Fred

I've got three drill presses. One of them is a big radial press. I've got jig in the picture. I use it for all my pins and tang bolts, on both pistols and rifles. For me it is quicker and does a perfect job. Would not be without it. Do use a drill press for drilling and tapping lock bolts. That insures that the bolt heads lay flate against the side plate.

Best regards
Rolf

It seems I find a new use for my drill press every day. The latest "new use" was removing the bulk of the wood for a barrel inlet. Mine isn't an expensive one - it's a used Ryobi bench top model that was given to me by my father-in-law. If I were buying one I'd give some thought on whether to get one of the floor standing models. Probably overkill for what I use a drill press for but worth considering.

Fred, wanna part with that jig?pm me with a price if your interested in selling it.....
:thumbsup:

duelist1954 said:
I use this R.E. Davis fixture on my drill press for drilling barrel pins and the tang bolt. It works flawlessly.

I highly recommend it
http://www.redaviscompany.com/0883.html[/quote]

I have the same gadget ... you could make one yourself, however, if you take a good look at the fixture in question ...

I've used it on several builds and it works very well - never had a problem with the holes not meeting up as I intended - but remember, this doesn't guarantee that you won't put the holes in the wrong place: that's on you...

don't ask me how I know :redface:

Where Some...run into problems with a drilling Jig or the Drill Point on a drill press is:

1: Too much pressure on the drill bit. Take your time, let the drill
bit do the work.

2: Drill bit is not sharp.

3: What you are drilling is not stable. It needs to be secure & not moving.
And when using the drill point, the piece you are drilling must be at the correct angle.

4: If you are drilling the Tang to Triggerplate hole, or the lock screw holes, have a Pilot
hole on Each Side. Drill half way, turn it over & then drill halfway again til you meet the
previous hole.

Keith Lisle

After reading the responses, I've come to the conclusion of getting a drill press.

I'd like to have a bench drill press as I don't have a lot of room in my work area. Could anyone recommend a decent one (one good enough to drill pins, lock plates, etc.) without breaking the bank?

Yard sales, flea markets, pawn shops, for cheap ones. I picked up an almost new, Craftsman for $45. and a large floor machinist drill press for $20. The big one needs a ON/OFF switch. Any cheap bench press, would be better than a hand drill.
For a new one, Sears, would be good.

Yes, this is essentially the same jig that I use. His is a bit different but the idea is the same. Even though I have and use a jig like his, I had to read over his instructions a couple times to fully understand what he was doing. This kind of jig is excellent and when used properly, you will never make a mistake with having your hole come out at the wrong place.

I found a 8 inch drill press from Harbor Freight that is listed for $69, plus I have a coupon for 20% off...comes to $55. Anyone have any experience with this one? Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back