• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fusil grenadier?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewallace

32 Cal.
Reaction score
can anyone comment on what is a French fusil grenadier? when were they used?, where they used in this country? and how are they different from a 1717 French musket?

About the only way the grenadier differed from the regular infantry musket was the inclusion of sling swivels. This was so that the grenadiers could sling their arms while throwing grenades. I don't recall the date that the first grenadier companies were formed but anywhere there were large contingents of french forces there were grenadiers. Something to consider though, even though these muskets were intended for grenadiers they could, in times of need, end up in the hands of anyone, even fur traders or Indian allies.

In fact, the "Grenadier" muskets made by Tulle for the Ministry of the Marine were similar to the infantry muskets of the day with some various differences. The earlier M.1697 was stocked to the muzzle with 3 ramrod pipes and an entry pipe roughly equal distances apart and the barrel band about center of the middle two. The later M.1716 and M.1729-34 were of similar overall length but with two ramrod pipes and an entry pipe and both having the stock shortened to accept a socket bayonet. The M.1716 had the spacing of the pipes and the barrel band at about equal spacing along the barrel with barrel band in the third position. The M.1729-34 had the same exterior size but had a longer gap between the top and second pipe so the second was equal distance from top and entry pipe. Then the barrel band was roughly centered in the gap between middle pipe and entry pipe. No idea why...I figure some new guy got appointed chief musket flunkie and wanted to appear to be doing something! :idunno: Barrel lengths ran around 44" for the Grenadier versions and the M.1717 could be 46". It's a little hard to follow, but becomes a bit easier when you realize Tulle was making for the Navy and St. Etienne(and other armories)were in production of M.1717 & M.1728 (and later)for the Army. Both services jealously guarded their differences. All the Grenadier variations had locks similar to the M.1728...the real main difference was that the M.1717 had the vertical, exterior bridle between the frizzen and frizzen screw.

If you would like to find some relatively inexpensive small books to help figure all he styles out, I'd recommend "The Fusil de Tulle In New France 1691-1741" by Russel Bouchard and "The French Soldier In Colonial America" by Rene Chartrand. They're smaller paper back books available from TOTW and Amazon, etc. The detailed drawings will help you understand the different styles since Tulle's "common" and "grenadier" muskets are virtually identical. :doh:

thank you very much for all the info. I have a 1717. I love the way it looks, but it is not a great shooter, the lock geometry is off

Back