• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wallace Gusler: WOW!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally broke down and ordered the Colonial Willamsburg DVD "Gunsmith of Williamsburg." In it, the great master gunsmith Wallace Gusler builds a flintlock from scratch -- everything from welding up a chunk or wrought iron into a barrel to forging the lock to pouring the brass furniture. And to top it off, the film, made in 1969, is narrated by David Brinkley, whose sweet Carolina voice will bring a tear to the eye of other aging baby boomers of my vintage. I cannot recommend this film highly enough. I am sorry I waited so long to buy it. Also ordered "Hammersmith of Williamsburg," a fine look at colonial-era blacksmithing.

I got in on VHS about 20 years ago. Periodically I drag it out and watch it just to view a master at work. I have visited the gunsmith shop at Williamsburg several times but never when they were actually building a gun, much to my sorrow. Of course they no longer build complete guns in the shop, which is a pity.

Bill, I have a copy on it's original 8mm projector film reel version I bought back in 1970.... :doh:

Did buy a DVD several years ago, so people won't think I'm too ancient!...... :rotf:

Rick

Given the sort of forum that this is, I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED, that nobody has said that they own/use a HUGE, wooden, box camera on a tripod with "head braces" & GLASS negatives. = CHUCKLE.

yours, satx

Do they cover the pattern making and other setup for the brass casting in the video?

It does cover the brass making, start to finish.

I had the VHS version for years then got the DVD.Put simply, it is excellent. And yes, I miss David Brinkley's voice as well. I'll have to get the blacksmith one.

Jeff

Back