• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple 7 vs Pyrodex ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayJ

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli sxs 12ga.I'm using musket nipples and caps.I started out using Pyrodex and had serious ignition problems with it.I went to Triple7 and haven't had a misfire yet.The thing is that I've been reading that Triple7 is harder to ignite than Pyrodex.In my case,the opposite has been true.So,my question is "is there a reason for this or has anyone experienced the same thing?".I may start using true black powder in the future but funds are very tight right now and I have several pounds of Triple7 on hand that I need to use before I buy any more powder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never used trip7 but alot of pyrodex.....it is harder to ignite and all the several cap locks I have owned I open the nipples to .040 (1mm).
That includes four Pedersolis.

B.

Do you just use a drill bit to open them up?I started out with #11 nipples and caps and was having lots of trouble.It was then recommended that I try musket caps,which I did.That helped alot but still had trouble and when hunting ducks,one misfire is too many.I tried Triple7 just for grins and it has worked fine but it's like 32.00 a pound.If I shoot alot,that will run into lots of money.Goex is like 15.99 a lb if I order it online so I will do that after I use up my Triple 7.I was just wondering if anyone else has found that Triple 7 ignites easier than Pyrodex.

I use vented #11 nipples (T/C Hot Shot or Uncle Mikes) and have not seen any problems with ignition with either Pyro or T7. In one gun, the standard nipple was almost un-usable with anything but black. Changed to the vented and no problems.

(Happy Birthday!!!)

So,maybe I could still use pyrodex with hotshot nipples?I will give that a try maybe.It would be easier in that I could buy it off the shelf at Walmart.Goex would have to be ordered,then hazmat fee,shipping,and I would feel ,like I would have to order 20lbs to get my moneys worth for the shipping and hazmat charges.I'm very new to all of this(2-3 years)and have just started to really research and experiment.Can hotshot nipples be ordered from any online store?

Most stores have em. I say order 5lbs and pay the haz mat and get some real stuff. I was gonna order swiss to try out (never shot anything but Goex) but in a recent cleaning mode I found I have 4.5 bs of Goex :hmm: so I dont need more yet.

777 and Pyrodex both work well in all my guns but I have shot so much I have switched out the nipples. Most online stores have what ya need.

I cannot remember having a misfire with 777, but if I think back almost 14 years when I first started and used a few pounds of pyrodex R, I did have some, but not a lot.

Personally, I think 777 is the tops of all the synthetics. I still use it in my percussions. Have never had anything but top performance from it.

I was going to suggest musket nipples and caps, but if that is also problematic, try 10-20gr BP under your substitute. fffg is more apt to make it through the flash channel in a gun with a patent breech. If fffg under your substitute powder isn't reliable, pour it in your shrubs for fertilizer! :stir:

Ray Johnson said:
Do you just use a drill bit to open them up?I started out with #11 nipples and caps and was having lots of trouble.It was then recommended that I try musket caps,which I did.That helped alot but still had trouble and when hunting ducks,one misfire is too many.I tried Triple7 just for grins and it has worked fine but it's like 32.00 a pound.If I shoot alot,that will run into lots of money.Goex is like 15.99 a lb if I order it online so I will do that after I use up my Triple 7.I was just wondering if anyone else has found that Triple 7 ignites easier than Pyrodex.
Yes but the drill bits are so fragile so use a piller drill or bench drill and machine vice.

I even had to do a musket cap nipple for pyrodex!
A bigger bang the wrong side of a tiny hole makes no difference with stubborn pyrodex!

Once done you never look back :thumbsup:

Or risk more money on the fancy nipples!

B :thumbsup:

Britsmoothy said:
Ray Johnson said:
Yes but the drill bits are so fragile so use a piller drill or bench drill and machine vice.

A bigger bang the wrong side of a tiny hole makes no difference with stubborn pyrodex!

So you're saying once you go black you never go back? :confused: :rotf:

#11 magnum caps usually takes care of the problem. Musket caps are bigger but not sure they are hotter than conventional #11 caps. Magnum caps are more powerful (hotter?) than conventional caps.

excess650 said:
Britsmoothy said:
Ray Johnson said:

So you're saying once you go black you never go back? :confused: :rotf:

Try adding a little more water to it if you are struggling a little :hatsoff:

B.

Maybe,#11 magnum caps hotter than musket caps?Now,I'm confused a little.I just assumed the bigger nipple and cap would be easier to ignite but I'm not sure that I've even tried #11 magnum caps.I may order some #11 hotshot nipples and magnum caps and see what happens.

Triple 7 fires for me every time but I haven't even had a chance to pattern it much yet with my 12ga.It is more expensive than Pyrodex but since you would use less per shot then it may even out.I still want to try real black powder at some point.I'm still rehabbing after rotator cuff surgery so can't shoot for a while.That's why I'm doing so my research on the computer about ML shotguns,powder,prb's,etc...I have extra time on my hands.Doctor has had me off work for over 6 weeks now.

I had more than a few misfires with Pyrodex but none with Triple7.I was just confused because alot of what I've read says that Triple7 is harder to ignite than Pyrodex but not for me.Not sure why.

When I ran into ignition problems with pyrodex it was due to the geometry of the grains of the grade I was trying to use.

I'll probably order some Goex after I use up my Triple 7.Goex is much cheaper.I wish I would have begun with that but I'm learning.I just don't want to waste what I have.

Latest posts

Back