• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger Rifles Questions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph Meisse

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have not been on this site for some time now. Back a few years ago I posted a picture of a Jaeger rifle that a friend of mine sold me. It had only been fired a couple of times by the builder. I still have not fired it but since I ain't getting any younger, thought I would try it. Here's the questions: It's a 62 cal., how much powder would you guys recommend? Second, it's a very pretty gun and the barrel is in the white condition---leave it that way or have it browned? And third, down the road, would this gun be worth more if I didn't shoot or doesn't it matter much either way? Thanks so much in advance.

I shoot 100-120gr fffg in mine. You could try lighter charges, say starting around 70gr and work up to where you are comfortable with how it shoots.

It was made to shoot, right?

Yup, it was made to shoot and I have to admit that I am getting a little antsy to try it out. Sure would make a big hole in whatever you'd hit.

I would start with 70gr of real blackpowder and work up from there. As far as bluing or browning the barrel, I would say no don't do it.

If you maintain it by thorough cleaning and oiling it will take on a very nice patina on it's own and if maintained properly it should not loose any value.

Use a 0.600 ball, 85 grains of 2F and thick denim patch with Dutch Sophisticated Moose Milk. The .200 Teflon ticking also works fine. Mine has a .62 cal 31" rice round grooved barrel.

Browning was not done on Jaeger rifles. Standard finish was fire blueing to eliminate glare or a lot of times you would also find in the white.
Mike Miller does fire blueing. Is your rifle with iron or brass furniture?

It has brass furniture. I guess it would help to post a picture? I will try to take some tomorrow and post them.

sciotaboy said:
It has brass furniture. I guess it would help to post a picture? I will try to take some tomorrow and post them.

Yep. :photoSmile:
Go with reccomendations on charges given so far. Do you know the rifing twist? That is important in judging accuracy sweet spot charges.

My barrel is a Colerain, so 1-66" twist and a little tighter than my .62 Rice(unfinished, so not yet shot). I have a Lee mould, and it casts .603"+. I'm using either the heavier pillow ticking (.018") or cotton duck cloth (.025").

I have another mould that casts .612"+ that will work in my Rice, but too large for my Colerain. I bought that particular mould for my Moody barrel.

My barrel is a Colerain, so 1-66" twist and a little tighter than my .62 Rice(unfinished, so not yet shot). I have a Lee mould, and it casts .603"+. I'm using either the heavier pillow ticking (.018") or cotton duck cloth (.025").

I am surmising it will be very forgiving with that combo and any charge of real bp from about 60 gr. to 120, or more. When you find the sweet spot (I'm guessing it will be about 80 gr.), no need to punish yer shoulder by going higher.

My rifle weighs 7-1/2# and recoil becomes noticeable above 120gr despite the 2"+ wide buttplate. fffg gave me tighter groups than did ffg (Goex). I tried Swiss but prefer Goex for its softer fouling.

excess650 said:
My rifle weighs 7-1/2# and recoil becomes noticeable above 120gr despite the 2"+ wide buttplate. fffg gave me tighter groups than did ffg (Goex). I tried Swiss but prefer Goex for its softer fouling.

I can understand the recoil problem. My .54 Jaeger weighs more than that and over 80 gr. the recoil is very noticable, even tiring for a long day at the range. Your rifle is really a hunter (Jaeger means 'hunter').
Some powders do perform differently for different rifles. The softer fouling thing is new to me, I have a good supply of Swiss but have used only a little in my wife's .40. Not a good comparison.

Hi Rifleman,
Your about in my age bracket. Ya think the 80 grains would be a good load for whitetail or is this caliber a little heavy for them? I am used to using a 45 cal. Flintlock Kentucky. Round ball with 90 grains of 3f black powder.

100gr fffg in a .62 is pretty pleasant. I shoot the same in my .58, 90gr in my .54 and .50, and 55-60gr in my .45.

Both the .58 and .62 are pretty decisive about putting WTs down.

The only deer I have killed with a muzzle loader was .45 cal using 65 gr. of real bp.
His 80 gr is probably necessary for accuracy. No doubt it will kill them dedder than our .45s. :wink: It should be a good load.

Latest posts

Back