• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to Find Black Powder Locally

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Black Powder:
I came back from hunting the Panhandle yesterday and stopped at every gun or pawn shop I could find for over 200 miles. I finally found a pawn shop that handled it but they were out of 2F and 3F. They had 1F and 4F. However, it turns out the owner is really in to primitive black powder weapons. He had about 20 of them ... mostly junk taken as pawn items. He had a can of opened 3F that was 80% filled and sold it to me for $15. He gets $22/can usually but has to order more and it will probably increase with the new prices.

So, he shows me his home-made cannon made with heavy duty pipe and a welded breech with a touch hole for a fuse. He made the carriage with wheels too. He says, "Let's shoot the cannon! Call the bank across the street and tell them to get ready for a 'BOOM'."
He loaded up 350 grs. of 1F powder and stuffed a wad of bread down the muzzle, inserted a fuse and 'commanded' everyone to assemble outside. He pointed it at an empty lot next door, lit the fuse and WHAM!!! The report was pretty loud but the carriage with the cannon moved backward 8 1/2 feet through the grass.

I spent 90 minutes looking through all their wares and talking BP stuff. He's going to call me when the BP comes in.
By the way, the owner's name is Yancey. Cooool. "Yancey Derringer" was one of my favorite westerns when I was a kid. :grin:

TIME WELL SPENT !

I like shops like that. Had one similar here. A pawn shop. The guy had a long gray beard. He took boy scouts out to shoot. He left the shop, I believe he was part owner but they changed the shop and got rid of the old stuff. Allot of people here probably won't step foot in there any more.

Back during the Johnson Admin., we'd have said, "Way cool"! banks do need a little warning...and if you shoot off a double 12 under their front door cover, the whole alarm system goes nutz and stays on till the manager drives downtown to turn it off. Just ask how I know!!! :haha:

I am in lakeland. Where is this shop?
the closest place I know to get any powder or caps is bass pro in orlando.

Around my area all of the retailers have gone to the fake stuff. Bass pro which is a long ways from me has it at times but it is tough to find a sales person that knows they have it. I would venture a guess that at least 90% of our club members buy it thru the web.

Good Luck with your Quest!

Geo. T.

Latest posts

Back