• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody Sell Bear Grease Commercially For Succotash?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alden

Cannon
Reaction score
Corn, lima beans and peppers. Grew up with it using butter and maybe a little oil but traditionally the Indians would have used as much, or all, bear grease. Any companies sell bear grease for cooking? I don't need a whole bear...

Here's a/the recipe:

Native Succotash

Ingredients:
Ӣ 1/4 cup olive oil (maybe bacon grease instead)
Ӣ 3 tablespoons butter
Ӣ 1 red bell pepper, seeded, deveined, and cut into 1/4-inch dice (or mix with green and/or yellow bell peppers)
Ӣ 2 cups frozen lima beans
Ӣ 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
Ӣ Salt and black or white pepper
Ӣ Perhaps a dash (or two) of ground sage

Directions:
In a large pan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add red and green bell peppers, lima beans, and corn. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Add dash of sage.

PS: Southerners with down-home-country-goodness passed-down recipes that use pinto-beans, lard, grits, jalapeno's, whatever, please DON'T chime in. Yeah, I had some last night with roasted corn and Brussels Sprouts, bacon and onion in a butter sauce -- it was great but it wasn't really Succotash.

Found a site from Alaska that mentions a site that sell it for $50 a pound but that link doesn't work. Sorry. Know a couple guys who are black bear hunters, I'll check with them and see if they can help. I'll PT you if I have any luck.

Thanks Wesley -- I don't want to trouble any individuals though. This is for a whim to be more correct, as many of us want to. Intend to make some for a "cultural diversity" [read: hyphenated-American] pot-luck lunch at work I refuse to go to, a pot-luck dinner at a unit I belong to... There's always the "you fed me what, and I enjoyed it!?" factor to be considered as well.

Worst case is I continue to use butter and maybe more than a spoonful of bacon grease. What can't be made better with sweet butter and bacon fat ('cept grits maybe) anyway!?

Only heard back from one so far and all he has is a small amount left from his last bear. Can appreciate the desire to go "authentic" with dishes. It's never fun to be close! Natural grease, especially bacon, is always good for flavoring. My Mom always strained and kept her bacon drippings and we always raided it before going after bluegill! Grab a couple of potatoes and half an onion and her old iron skillet. Catch a bunch and have a fish fry by the creek. Always tasted so much better than on the stove!! :thumbsup:

I understand. = I've often thought that IF a person could duplicate the taste of "creek bank" coffee "early on a frosty morn" or the stew cooked over coals out by the river that he/she would soon be RICHER than Midas.

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
I understand. = I've often thought that IF a person could duplicate the taste of "creek bank" coffee "early on a frosty morn" or the stew cooked over coals out by the river that he/she would soon be RICHER than Midas.
Oh, it's easy to duplicate...you just gotta be on the creek or river! :wink: :haha:

Wow, that picture brings up memories of long, long ago. I'm one of those weirdos who just loves lima beans, and succotash was another great excuse to fork 'em in.
There are a couple of members here who often have bear fat rendered for patch lube. If it is pure, I can't see why it wouldn't be safe as a food product.

It seems to me that if there are NO "religious objections" that the fat of wild swine would work just as well as flavoring for succotash.
(Today, I'm cooking pinto beans with "scrap pork" to serve with cornbread this evening.)

yours, satx

Lima beans are good, nutritious, and very healthy for you. And with corn and a little soft bell peppers in butter or some such how can they be bad? They have alot of protein too so with fat they really make up a well balanced, and the way the carbs are situated, long lasting meal.

Heard back for another questionee but all he can add is that you check area hunting guides or camps and see if anybody has rendered bear lard available or can point you toward some. Some years ago I bought some really pure bear lard for patch lube but can't remember where. Really want to say DGW but also don't think it's the right outlet. I figured it's be a lot easier to find. Can't be that exotic...then again, I like grits with butter and bacon! :blah: :haha:

I have a bit that I cleaned up for use as bullet lube. Only problem is that it is mixed half and half with bees wax. Shouldn't be problem I wouldn't think. You would have to eat your beans or succotash while it was hot or they would set up pretty solid. But tasty.....Oh my!

LOL AND it would get rid of any allergies from around Georgetown, Texas. Worst case, we sell it to Yankee Candle -- "Butter Bean, Bear Grease and Bees Wax" scented Candles could be the new hit fragrance for 2014!

The more I read about bear fat in cooking many people say it is not very good ('cept for making fluffy pastry dough)...

Alden- do you know what type beans the Indians actually used? I thought they added bits of venison, not sure on the bear fat. Was the corn of a yellow color or multi-colored "Indian" corn? I don't know myself.
It's been awhile but I'm trying to recall if bear fat tastes much different from any other fat- once really purified. You might be going to a lot of effort for nothing. To the best of my memory bear fat really doesn't have a unique taste.
And....depending on the period, the eastern Buffalo might still have been around, you could probably just get some marrow bones.

crockett said:
Alden- do you know what type beans the Indians actually used? I thought they added bits of venison, not sure on the bear fat. Was the corn of a yellow color or multi-colored "Indian" corn? I don't know myself.
It's been awhile but I'm trying to recall if bear fat tastes much different from any other fat- once really purified. You might be going to a lot of effort for nothing. To the best of my memory bear fat really doesn't have a unique taste.
And....depending on the period, the eastern Buffalo might still have been around, you could probably just get some marrow bones.

Either of the two types of Lima beans -- think the yellow grow better higher. No meat as far as I know but green onions I've heard of. Corn was not the perfect pretty yellow sweet stuff we have today though there were different type.

I think I saw that once, thanks!

They don't instill alot of confidence in me. And for an ounce at $14 plus $11.50 shipping and a PayPal charge of $3, it ain't worth it...

...except as an aphrodisiac as they say. Think that works!? Cheap date!

Not sure how cheap a date oiling a bear would be...the hospital bills might be a bit high! :doh: :rotf:

Back