• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Horn stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldJoe212

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What's a good color stain to give a new horn that "aged" look. I don't have any scraps to test on. "Golden Oak" might look OK but how does horn absorb stain? Would “Walnut “ be too dark? Starting off light and going darker will be the way to go if no one has any ideas. Thanks.

RIT clothing dyes work the best for ease. You can mix and blend colors to get a color you want and then give your horn a couple coats of Johnson's Paste Wax.

Rick

I have used a product called "Old Bones" it works ok. I did experience a little wear of after some use, I think I ordered it from TOTW.

Old Bones is expensive. It is only Potassium Panangamate(?). Swimming pool and Garden Fish pool suppliers sell the chemical for a whole lot cheaper. Main problem, is that it really fades from any UV sunlight over time!

Rick

The use of wood stains on horn might be risky. Especially without pre-testing. Study the other comments here before proceeding.
But, IMHO, the best way to antique a horn is to use it. Just handling will do the job beautifully and naturally.

Old Bones is potassium permanganate. You can get pp cheaper than the Old Bones mix. Just sprinkle some in water and apply to bone, horn, or antler. First, it turns purple, but will get a nice aged brown in a couple of minutes. It will wear off, but makes a quick aging agent.

I remain your humble servant,

Just Dave

Sorry! While I was writing, I see Horner75 said the same. I defer to his experience.

Just Dave

I agree with Dave and Horner. I used PP once and discovered that it gives an almost instant dark brown. But it fades away in a matter of weeks. It can be re-applied but that gets annoying after a while. RIT works beautifully and doesn't fade.

I have used RIT to good effect ... it's permanent and fairly easy to control, and you can get it in a wide variety of colors.

good luck with your project!

On one of my trips to Friendship, I picked up a bottle of "Old Bones" stain for bone and horn staining. I really like the color that it gives to horns. If I am not mistaken, I bought it from the Flintlocks, Inc. booth.

Billnpatti said:
On one of my trips to Friendship, I picked up a bottle of "Old Bones" stain for bone and horn staining. I really like the color that it gives to horns. If I am not mistaken, I bought it from the Flintlocks, Inc. booth.

:doh:

Back