• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help finding a Knifesmith

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppanepinto

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, this is going to be my frist custom knife. I have never gone about looking for a smith before, and would like your help. I would like a french style knife from the early 18th century, roughly 1730-1750 range. I want it to be HC/PC and a working knife (no wall hanger). I would like something a little more fancy than a plain jane trade knife, but HC/PC is more important. Can someone help me get on the right track?

From the work I've seen on this site and others, I could recommend Wicke Elerbe. Fine gentleman. Another fine maker of French knives is Ken Hamilton. I see some of his work listed on Frontier Folk.
Good luck,
Ed

If you want a knife definitively French, a little nicer than a trade scalper of that time period, you need to contact Ken Hamilton to be sure of getting a really PC French knife. You should be able to contact him through the CLA. Contemporary Longrifle Association.

Thank you Mr. Ellerbe, I have seen the great work you do, and hope that you are doing well. I’ve tried looking up contact information and have not found anything. I can truly understand the backlog you have, fixing a home from a flood and my six month old son deciding to have a bet of health problems. He is now doing a lot better, so I was looking to get a knife I could use with some living history projects and one day hand down to him. I hope to own one of your fine blades. May the wind always be in your sails sir.

They already said it:
Wicke Elerbe, even though he has chimed in and suggested another maker.

If I ever get the extra cash to get a custom knife, it will be one of Mr Elerbe's knives.

I meant to say that I was look for contact information for Ken Hamilton, sorry about that.

Gil Hibben does make some pretty far out there stuff but he is a pure artisan with a grinder..that should be evident with some of the crazy stuff he makes..The man can grind anything, any shape and makes it look soooooo easy doing it..

Pretty much,but he designed the Bowie knife for the movie "The Iron Maiden",the wife got me the replica for christmas..

2014-01-09221206_zps8c62a69c.jpg

No. He is a great maker, but he did not design the "Iron Mistress". That was 1952 or there about, and a prop man designed that knife. Hibben starting making knives part time around 1956.

Latest posts

Back