• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Smooth Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does the effective range of barreled smooth rifles actually increase appreciably with increase in bore size?

Over the years I heard tell of and read some where about small caliber smoothies being used for squirrel and rabbit hunting and loose ball versus tight ball loading techniques. But, of arms with rifle sights I've only worked with the TC .56 (26") and the GM .62 (32"). Have any of you folks tried out .40 or smaller smooth rifles? What kind of groups were you able to work up?

I have not, but it would sure seem like they'd be razor sharp at typical squirrel / rabbit distances...be interesting to see what you learn if you go that route

In the dim, dark past I had one of Dixie's Belgium Bangers that was a .40 smoothbore. Got minute-of-bunnie with it but bunnies are fairly easy to sneak upon! Don't know how effective it would be using ball for something else but ball and/or shot up close put a lot of smalls in the creek or the kettle!

"Does the effective range of barreled smooth rifles actually increase appreciably with increase in bore size?"

Well, yes............maybe. It depends on some other factors.....With increased bore size comes a heavier ball which carries it's increased energy further than a lighter ball will. However, the size of your target can be a factor also. If you are squirrel hunting you don't need much of a ball to be effective, a 32 or 36 is fine. But if you're deer hunting, you wanna' be REAL close if you're shooting a 32! Small game is usually a short range game, ranges for big game can be much longer. Also, the quarry deserves to be dispatched humanely, that is our obligation as hunters. From what I've read here, smoothbores can deliver 3-4" groups at 50 yards with a good load, certainly good enough for deer. But I wouldn't want to be shooting rabbits with that load at 50 yards.

I am aware of some original smoothrifles in calibers of .36 to .45. I've killed lots of rats with .22mag shot cartridges and they were very effective. I think, just an opinion, small bores would be okay on small game at closer ranges using shot. They can be quite accurate with ball and that would make them adequate for small game at closer distances as well.

Yes, hanshi is correct. I hadn't mentioned anything about shot loads :doh: but as bore diameter increases so does the shot payload. More shot = denser patterns = more capability at longer ranges!

"Effectively range" really is a pretty nebulous term isn't it. A quarter to 3/8's bore might be real effective at bunny distances and a sixty effective at deer distances, etc.

Sure wish the fifty smoothie would arrive! I'm itching to see what kind of shot patterns and round ball groups it can do.

I've got one of those older dixie monkey guns.Percussion and a horrible trigger pull. I think I used a .490 or .495 patched ball.At smugglers notch primitive biathlon I was able to hit 3 clay birds at 50 yards and won a pound of powder.Even manure guns will shoot or even a blind squirrel find a nut once in a while.
Nit Wit

I built a 32 caliber smooth bore handgun to play with. With a tight patch round ball out to 20/25 yards it is accurate enough to hit squirrels. Out to 10/12 yards it has a tight enough pattern for rats and snakes with small shot. Have thought about building a smooth bore rifle in small caliber. Was also interested in how small is practical from those who have tried it.

There is an aggregate at the NMLRA shoots for Sighted Smoothbore, aggregate JJ. The current record for the 100 yard target match (shooting the 200 yard French target) is held by Harry Marsh with a 48! His rifle for this match is a 40 caliber, so a small bore doesn't necessarily mean short range. It mostly depends on the shooter.

I remember Keb showed a .20 caliber smoothbore flintlock, maybe a couple of years ago. I would certainly like to hear from him as well as anyone else with their experiences with such long guns. Squirrel size accuracy potential at, say, 30 yards, begs the question, why rifling?
I've seen what was done at 40 yards at a trade gun shoot, without a rear sight. Completely ruined my ideas about such things!
Please understand, I'm asking, that I may learn. Woodbutcher

The .30 was the first gun I made from scratch and I made mistakes, some I was able to correct some not. The little fellas have been popular, and I have made five of the things so far. Here is some pics of my first one reworked, and the latest for my son up front. Using the large siler on the one for my son, and styling them like trade guns helped their appearance and handling. Both guns weigh less than 4 1/2 lbs apeice, and the wood rammers are holding up well.

The only velocity tests were done on squirrels. First time out had some trouble with shot density till I adjusted my shot load. I really need to subject it to the tuna can test.

My GPR smoothbore .54 is somewhere between 8-9#s, so that weight sounds almost toylike, but must be a huge blessing. I've had pistols that weighed over 4#s, and a long gun like that is very tough to beat for all day comfort.

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: Razorbritches, those guns are gorgeous! I'm jealous.............

Back