• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder flask original or fake!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Need your opinions about this one. I believe it is original but I do not have much experience when it comes to original powder flasks.
If original what do you think a powder flask like this one should cost? Any advice at all should be very much appreciated.
Best,
Stefan
Sweden

You've got an Ames "Peace Flask", so named because of the clasped hands on it's face. The top has the correct date and Ames mark. These flasks were originally developed to issue out to riflemen and were part of a set later given the designation. M.1841 to match the M.1841 rifle developed to arm them as well as issued out to the Regiment Of Mounted Riflemen for whom the Walker Colt was developed, not the Texas Regiment of Mounted Rilfes, Walker's origins from there to the contrary. At the Time Sam Walker was an officer in the Federal regiment and the design was for them...never mind 180 got into the hands of the Texans and many goody legends immediately cranked up. The mounted troopers used a different set up than the infantry using this flask on a woven cord and a smaller cartridge on the back of their belts. This flask continued on for a long time in military and civilian service.

New copies began to be remade in the early 1960's to be used with the then new Zouave copies being imported here from Italy. Because of it's shiny patch box and other brass ornamentation, the replicas of the M.1863 Remington got the name "Zouave" though it was, ironically, the M.1841 rifle also called "Mississippi", was the rifle favored by Zouave units then. The replicas bacame known as "Zouave" flasks because of this mix ups.

Your nice original is dated 1839, which makes it an early one. Congratulations, good shooting!

Thank you very much for taking the time to anser my questions. I really appreciate it!
I wish you all A Very Happy New Year!
Best,
Stefan
Sweden

You're most welcome. glad we could help. Please post any time you find something new or different. Always great to get a different perspective and see old guns we'll probably never see over here!

Latest posts

Back