• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Firestorm for Christmas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There it was all nicely boxed up and placed under the tree. I've always wanted one regardless of how modern it looked and operated.
I'm extremely overjoyed and can't wait to make some smoke with this puppy.

PS: I placed it under the tree the eve before but I still acted suprised as I did when I was a kid :grin:

Good luck with your new gun. Get to know it and get it in the woods, you've got to get the newness out of it, and make it yours. :wink:

The Firestorm has a coned breech plug so as to make it compatible with pelletized propellents. If you're shooting real BP, you might want to grind the cone flat. Take it out and have a look. You'll see what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the review and watched the videos. I bought one of these, the blued version, from a fellow shooter a couple of years ago. He bought it and couldn't make it fire reliably. It appeared immaculate when I handed him the $...disassembled and found a glob of lube blocking the touch hole. With the coned breech plug in place, a cleaning jag can't get to the touch hole, let alone past it.

IMO, the coned plug is only there to make the shooting of pelletized powder possible. With BP the cone does nothing positive, and results in a negative soon enough.

I shot the FS (24" barrel) with the breech plug in its original state, and then again AFTER I had ground it flat. I can't tell you that there was a change in ignition speed, but wiping between shots no longer pushed fouling to where it would hinder ignition. The breech plug is removable, so complete cleaning is easy, and replacement breech plugs were available at that time.

The trigger was at least acceptable, as I recall. I own rifles with single triggers as well as DST, and actually prefer a single for hunting. I never use the set on my .62 Jaeger as the front trigger produces a nice pull.

I recall the lock working well despite the cut "flint" (agate?). Black English made it work better, but it fired reliably.

As untraditional as they are, they work, and can be reliable. Ergonomically, I give them high marks. The stock is slender, but well shaped, and the (narrow)rubber buttpad is kind to the shoulder. I didn't care for the 3 dot fiber optic sights, but they can be changed. IMO, green in the front is easier to see vs the red supplied. Removing the rear sight and installing the hunting tang sight designed for the New Englander increases the sight radius considerably. The short barrel makes handling in brushy areas, tree stands, blinds, and vehicle very easy.

Some of my comments are in the past tense. I used it for trade bait to get a rifle that I wanted back from a friend.

I don't see the Firestorm (or any sidelock) listed on TC's website any longer.

Thanks for all the feedback. I finally might get a chance to take it out tomorrow and shoot it. I'll be using T7 & T7 Magnum pellets and also brought along some Goex 3f and of course some 4f for the priming pan. Wish me luck.

Jamie from Alberta said:
Thanks for all the feedback. I finally might get a chance to take it out tomorrow and shoot it. I'll be using T7 & T7 Magnum pellets and also brought along some Goex 3f and of course some 4f for the priming pan. Wish me luck.

I'll be looking forward to your report. Take your allen wrench along for the touch hole liner!

Well I had a chance to get five shots off in minus 30 degree Celsius weather. The first shot was a 250gr Lee REAL boolit on top of two Triple 7 pellets. I primes the pan with 4f and pulled the trigger :confused:
I think the first pellet ignited and shot the next one plus the projectile about 30' on front of me in the snow. There was no recoil and there wasn't a loud report. I videotaped it even. So the next three shots I added approximately 10grs of Goex FFG down the bore first then two pellets, primed the pan, cooked it and pulled the trigger and BOOM!! Success! The last shot was 90grs of Goex on top of a round ball and it was an instantaneous Boom!! Cleaning was as simple as can be. I can't wait till it warms up around here......

Just to add,the agate flints suck. Going to get some better ones from TOTW.

If you have a supply or supplier of real BP, then duplexing isn't necessary. The problem with the BP "substitutes" is that they are not as easily ignited, and degrade with age. Properly stored BP will "keep" indefinitely.

I've used both the English and French flints, and both work well. Whenever I order from TOTW, I usually add 10 flints just to add to my stash.

Are you planning on hunting with the FS? Deer, moose, elk?

My Firestorm sparks the best with 3/4" x 5/8" black English flints from TOTW. I just tried 80 grains of 3F with a Hornady PA Conical and 4F in the pan a few weeks ago. It is a good load in my Firestorm.

Rick

I do plan on hunting with this bp gun. I'll leave the pellets for my inline which uses the hotter 209 primer and stick to good old Goex Holy black for my Firestorm.

RickkS said:
My Firestorm sparks the best with 3/4" x 5/8" black English flints from TOTW. I just tried 80 grains of 3F with a Hornady PA Conical and 4F in the pan a few weeks ago. It is a good load in my Firestorm.

Rick

I do believe I have some of those flints that I use in my Pedersoli Frontier. That Hornady conical is a good one too. I've got them in 54 as well as a TC Maxi ball mould but for 50 just the Lee REAL and rb mould.

I never had a problem with the coned breech plug except when shooting ultra light loads. 20 gr. loads seat the ball on the point of the cone instead of the powder. Would not shoot anything lighter because of air gap concerns. Also, don't be stingy with grease on the plug and vent liner when shooting heavy charges to prevent a stuck liner. Get an extra for your shooting box just in case. The hex head rounds out pretty easy when too much pressure is put on it.

Guess I belong to the Firestorm club now. :redface: Found one new in stainless for 450. Guess I will try it and see if it stays or goes. I like the traditional flinter's don't know if this rifle will find a home or not. Good for trading stock if nothing else. Guess I shouldn't have read about the firestorm here as it cost me. :) The trigger pull is pretty nice. Guess I lucked out on that. Larry

Back