• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 hammer spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraungie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got an 1858 Remington stainless Pietta with the adjustable sights. One hole at 20 yards 20 grs 3f .454 cast ball. Powder first then fill the chamber with corn meal flush. Then the ball. No wad no grease. The gun is as accurate as any I own. The problem? cocking the gun. I almost have to use two hands to get the hammer back. I know there is a screw adjustment in the front of the grip.I have it so loose I am afraid of loosing it. Can I get another spring or is there a way to reduce it's strength. Obviously there are no cap issues. That hammer hits hard. Thank You and you all have a happy and rewarding new year.

Hi I would also like to know this as the uberti 1858 im getting has a really hard hammer pull.

Rick

Take the tensioning screw from the front of the grip and shorten the HEAD so it can be backed out farther. make sure its the head and not the shank (too many people I told to do this shorten the shank) You may need to refile the screw slot. I done this to my cut down 1858 for range use and it helps a lot.

Sounds like you need to work on that spring with the grinder.

BUT FIRST - have a replacement spring on hand. VTI is where I'd look first for a spring.

If you are going to reduce the strength of the spring three things.

First get a replacement spring just in case.

Second file or grind down the sides of the spring not the flats. Make sure not to heat the spring, keep a bucket of water nearby and your finger near the grind. If your finger can feel the heat dump the spring in the water.

Lastly, don't get carried away. Reduce it by stages and replace it with all the parts and try the trigger pull. You can always take off more spring, but you can't put any back, that is what the replacement spring is for.

Many Klatch

well in that case I agree with taking the width of the spring down only difference would be i would use a stone instead of a grinder or sander just to be safe. Go slow its easy to get carried away and ruin a spring.

You will be for ever doing it with a stone only. Use a Dremel grinding wheel about an inch across, keep it moving,finish up with emery cloth and you will do fine.MD

The one I did only took a couple hours using only a stone. I felt I had more control and it was also somewhat enjoyable but of course I have lots of time on my hands so it wasn't that bad.

M.D. said:
You will be for ever doing it with a stone only. Use a Dremel grinding wheel about an inch across, keep it moving,finish up with emery cloth and you will do fine.MD

Personally, I prefer stoning over the Dremel. Too easy to muck things up with a Dremel. Make sure you end with a smooth finish. Gouges and scratches are the start of a broken spring.

Back