• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Book

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade Dan

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a book last month written by Eric Bye called Flintlocks-A practical guide for their use and appreciation. It's an outstanding book, there's Lots of interesting facts on flintlocks. I was always told that ignition was faster by banking the priming powder away from the touch hole. Experiments by larry Pletcher showed that ignition is faster when the priming powder is banked against the hole. the difference (I think it was thousandths of a second) was only minuscule so you wouldn't notice it, I just found it interesting. Anyone out their looking for a good flintlock book, this is it.

I have only skimmed the book today, it is excellent. Should be required reading.

He does blow some holes in key board typists knowledge in a quick review of the book.

I think it will be very well received.

I liked it well enough I gifted a copy to friend who is just getting started in the world of flintlocks.

It is well worth the money.

Back