• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Full sleeved cover while hunt'n

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My standard approach is those (free) thin plastic umbrella bags many stores have on racks at the door. I keep several in my pack - rolled up and secured with rubber bands.

Two will cover a gun perfectly - a long one put on at the muzzle end and a second one cut off to overlap the first one by a few inches and put on from the stock end. After putting them on the gun, I secure the rear one with a rubber band around the wrist of the stock. It takes only a second to slip the front one from the barrel.

Cosmoline is a grease that the military and gun makers put on their guns to protect them from rust, it lasts for years. Can be a challenge to get off after 30 years or so.

"RIG" stands for rust inhibiting grease and it is sold under the RIG brand name. Essentially it is bore grease.

Paste wax is a paste wax made to protect wood floors, wood furniture and wood.

In order of protection, Cosmoline, RIG and paste wax last.

I trust grease first, then oil (3 in 1). Last would be paste wax on metal.

Vasoline and also be used.

If the rifle was left sitting in the direct sunlight, moisture/water droplets could form inside the plastic case and really rust the rifle in a very short time.

:hmm: That's true Richard. But there's not a lot of direct sunlight when it's raining. :wink:

(I slip them on only when carrying a gun in the rain.)

To me, a rifle is a "tool", not to be mistreated, but certainly not to be "coddled". A hunting gun should be able to w/stand it's enviroment so I don't use any "covering" except a calve's knee.

Elk hunted one year and it rained 7 out of the 9 day season and every day was hunted w/ no ill effect on the exposed gun. Sometimes the rain was light, but somedays it poured.

A couple of years ago I built a Stith Hawken for a customer and the "tipoff" as to how he would treat his Hawken, was when he caled it ...."his baby". He refuses to hunt it in any inclement weather....leaves it "coddled" in the ultra fancy case he made.

A hunting gun should have been built w/ foul weather in mind....this includes metal and wood finishes and the "prep" before hunting. But again, each should do what engenders a "peace of mind"......Fred

You are right, lot's of absent minded folks after the rain stops.

How many times have your read here, "I went home and forgot to clean my rifle", now it's ruined?.

I am in the tool camp.

Nice in theory, but the tropics are not kind to blued gun metal which is why I was thinking a lanolin impregnated cotton sleeve might give it a layer of protection without the need to reapply and wipe it off each time the rifle is used. I can see grease being more of a long term storage solution but messy for use whilst hunting.

I am firmly in the tool camp as well. My rifles are production rifles with hooked breech design. Sure; I take care of them and they are always cleaned and oiled up after the hunt but even in terrible weather they always fire. In bad weather I cover the lock with a piece of leather car wash shammy treated with Sno-seal boot dressing and I put a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle. I don't care if they get snowed or rained on, they aren't for wall hangin. One thing to remember is not to let your rifle dry out with the barrel out of the stock. Take it apart and clean and dry it as best you can. Put it back together right away so your wet stock won't shift. You can take it back apart in a day or so and clean it again if need be. Sealing the exposed wood in the channel is also a good idea.

The worst is raining weather. I can keep it dry for the first shot but reloading in the rain is a very difficult ordeal. The next time I go out with the chance of rain there is going to be a small folded up tarp in my bag that I can get the gun under for a dry reload.

My brother made a waterproof camo sleeve that has elastic on both ends that he slips over the barrel and covers the lock and trigger. When he wants to shoot he just pulls it back onto the stock exposing the lock and trigger. Looks like it works pretty good; might have to make one for myself. An old waterproof jacket sleeve and some elastic is all it would take to make one.

When it's raining, more than a fine mist, I find the deer do not move in the rain, our deer must be sissy's.

Walks with fire said:
I like the texas hat idea. I bet a texas hat is huge; probably could load 2 guns and sleep under it as well. :haha:
Yes, sir! It's called a sombrero! :hmm: :haha: and don't think it isn't done!! :thumbsup:

Kodiak13 said:
Has any here ever used the full length rifle sleeve while hunt'n in fowl weather and if so, for flint, percussion, or both? Would like to hear the positives along with the negatives you have experienced, what material was used in the making of the sleeve as well...thanks! :v

Had the wife sew up a case for me made out of an old OD army blanket. Split to the sling swivel for modern rifle use. Sprayed with water proofing. Has some parachute cord to tie it over the scope or receiver depending on gun being used. I've use this for over 20 years now. Keeps my gun dry. I can use this with any rifle or shotgun I have.

A full grain leather cover, light weight cowhide, treated with Snow-Seal will serve very well and being somewhat stiff will slide off the gun easily.
I have about 4 of them in different lengths and sizes.

Huntinginsnow.jpg
GunCover.jpg

The only thing that is even close to this is a very hard tight weave wool cover.

Everything else ranks as "better than nothing" Lack protection, hard to get off the gun etc. Without a full length cover its impossible to stand the rifle against a tree, the sights get full of snow, can't lay the gun down. Etc Etc.
These were in use back to at least the 1770s. See the Dickert Rifle with original leather cover in "Moravian Gunmaking of the American Revolution".
I put a cover made of a wool blanket inside for extra padding during transport. But this will not come off as easy (too loose in the weave) so the wool cover stays in the vehicle when hunting.
I suppose canvas would work if waterproofed but its not finish friendly.

Dan

My cover that I use with all guns comes off very easy and fast. This is due to being slit to to where the front sling swivel is on my CF rifles. The parachute cord makes a nice tie, but you could also use leather if you want. To reduce bulk, the cover only goes to behind the pistol grip. This is long enough to keep water and snow of the important parts. Spray the wool cover with water proofing and let it air out and you are good to go for years. Mine was made in 1987 and still going strong.

Back