• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Names For Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I never did or actually even considered it until reading this post.
I work over all my guns to make them fit what is wanted from them realizing they have no soul, are not my friend and would kill me just as quickly as they would anything else,if miss handled.
I guess they are just tools to me but I have favorite tools as well and seldom trade or sell them once they have been tailor fit to my needs and desires.
I enjoy looking at and handling guns just as much as shooting them.
Some guns have a home with me just because of how they feel in my hand when carrying them and in reality have very little useful value. Mike D.

I only have two that have names and both seem to fit very well. One is a .54 flinter named Elvis because it's just beyond cool. The other is another .54 flinter named Jenny because the first game that I took with it was a young hen turkey (a jenny). I'm in the planning/building stage of 3 guns right now, one for myself and one for each of my sons, and I hope that maybe one or all of them will be so cool or work so fantastically that they'll earn names for themselves.

I got numerous names "Ole Marge" 45 TN MT, "Rusty" double barreled CVA 50/12 gauge, "Sweet Adeline" 50 cal lancaster, "Buffalo Bear" 58 kodiak double, "Sweet Pea" 40 cal, "Thunder Gun" 58 Early Virginia, and "Cherry Popper" 54 TC Hawkens (shot my first deer with it, as did about 7 other people)

Billnpatti said:
Yes, I think it was Davy Crockett or possibly Daniel Boon who named his rifle "Tick Licker". I have no idea why it had that name but it meant something to the owner.

Daniel Boone named one of his rifles Ticklikker because of the sound it made when he cocked it...

David Crockett named his favorite rifle Betsy and later a rifle he was given in Philadelphia when he was a Congressman Pretty Betsy...

The rifle that killed Patick Ferguson was named Sweet Lips...

Only two of mine have names, the white mountain carbine is called shorty and my go-to tc hawken 50cal. has earned the name "THE TERMINATOR". And its been living up to its name this season, Its put down two nice bucks and a doe.

My Home built Hawken is "Black Thunder." It was built in the county of St.Louis Mo. Hence, I also call it my "Saint Louis County Hawken". I may also refer to it as my Whitetail Widow Maker or WWM.

HH 60

I call my flintlock Lightning because she never hits twice in the same spot. :haha: graybeard

My Rev. period flint longrifle is named "Ben" after an ancestor, Benjamin Miller, who fought in the Revolution.
My Jaeger is named "Nimrod" after the Biblical mighty hunter.
At times, all my other guns get names but those are not permitted to be published here. :shocked2: :redface: :grin:

Some how a bunch of 60+ year old men sitting around a camp fire or in a hunting cabin discussing what they have or will name their rifles is not really value added, kind of like a bunch of teen age girls discussing their boy friends.

Calling a rifle/pistol "her" is like having mammary glands on a boar hog, it's a waste of time and is not going to be useful to any hog.

My view and I get to have it. I see no need in a naming them, are you going to engrave a name on them for the future buyer?

All of my rifles have names, but Fearnaught seems to get all the attention these days. Love that rifle.

I have two kids and have trouble keeping their names straight. :doh:

So I guess it would be impossible for me to keep two dozen muzzleloaders names straight and I'm afraid if I mixed up their names they would give me a fit. :haha:

actually tits on a boar are about 30% inherited trait, if my animal science class recall is correct. Does make a difference if you are raising breeding stock.

Fleener

I have to kind of side with Mr. Eames on the idea of the practical value to naming inanimate objects. Doing so actually lacks any practical value. You can't just open your gun safe and call "Here Ticklikker!" and expect it to jump out into your arms. On the other hand, if you love your guns like I do, giving them a meaningful name just seems okay if you want to do it.....and I do but they have to earn their names. Old Holy S**T my .45/120 sure did earn it's name. It was named by some of my friends after having had the pleasure of shooting it. I was going to name it "Kills On Both Ends" but I wanted to give it that name in the Sac-Fox dialect but my requests for that name in their dialect went unanswered. Don't know why. So, the name my friends gave it stuck. Then there is my .54 caliber mule ear rifle that I call Sweet Lips.....and the list just goes on and on. But practical value? Nope, not much.....it's just love. So, Mr. Eames you are right, naming inanimate objects such as guns is a lot like tits on a boar hog...no practical value at all. Dang, now I will have to paint out the name on my yacht.......if I ever hit the lottery and buy a yacht.

Trucks? Naming trucks? Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Trucks don't have names. What's wrong with you? Now motorcycles...............those babies need names. My last motorcycle was a beautiful Honda Goldwing named "Sweet Pearl of My Youth". Just thinking of her brings a tear to my eye. Sweet Pearl is still alive somewhere making someone happy, I just know it. Sweet Pearl.......Sweet Pearl.......Where are you sweet baby?

Yep, 2 Tall, you just got your chain yanked. :haha: Merry Christmas!!! :hatsoff:

Richard Eames said:
Some how a bunch of 60+ year old men sitting around a camp fire or in a hunting cabin discussing what they have or will name their rifles is not really value added, kind of like a bunch of teen age girls discussing their boy friends.

Calling a rifle/pistol "her" is like having mammary glands on a boar hog, it's a waste of time and is not going to be useful to any hog.

My view and I get to have it. I see no need in a naming them, are you going to engrave a name on them for the future buyer?

I can not imagine the horror of living in such a humorless world. It is your view and you do get to have it. Good luck, have a nice life.

Oh. Mr. Dog, I will have to stand up for Mr. Eames and say that he is not without a sense of humor. I have actually seen it a time or two so I know it exists. But, as a proper gentleman, he, unlike me, manages to keep it under control. I am of the opinion that Mr. Eames, like most of us, loves his rifles. Well, love may be too strong of a word so lets just say that he has a strong affection for his rifles. But, he manages to keep this affection under control and has the strength of character to stand by his convictions not to name his rifles. I admire such strength of character in a gentleman. :hatsoff:

Back