• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta, Uberti or Pedersoli?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need an 1860 Colt Army .44.

Based on your experience, which company makes the BEST QUALITY replica?

Thank you all for your help on this one!

I can't help with the choice you need to make, but I love your attitude.....
"I NEED an 1860 Colt Army .44".

Coot, I guess an Colt second generation wouldn't be a replica???

trent/OH said:
I can't help with the choice you need to make, but I love your attitude.....
"I NEED an 1860 Colt Army .44".
Here, here! At one time, you could rate some makers above others but Pietta uped their game to compete in the CAS market and appear to have included all their line in the process. At present, it's kind of a toss-up with all the makers. Some have specific finish or design points you may prefer, it's going to be your choice. Don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. And, yes, you do need a M.1860! :wink: :haha: My all time favorite style if you hadn't figured out the brass band meant I liked'em! :v

blackelm said:
I need an 1860 Colt Army .44.

Based on your experience, which company makes the BEST QUALITY replica?

There's no comparison between a 2nd generation Colt and the Italians. It points better and is so much lighter! Well worth the extra price.

Having said that, if your budget dictates, you'd do well with a brand new Pietta.

I own lots of black powder "stuff", including several revolvers. When I needed to finish (several 26-round target sessions from 25 & 50 yards distance) my NRA Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Pistol, I asked to borrow my son's Uberti Colt 1860 Army in Charcoal Blue finish with fluted cylinder. Reason being that every copy I had seen to date (have more than one friend owning a copy) was of Cimmaron quality and was a tack-driver out to 50 yards (I got to watch them perform and shot a fine example).

Uberti doesn't make them year-round, and Taylor's in Winchester, VA will back me up on this. Not only are the guns beautiful, they're very "tight" when the cylinder locks-up into battery, and the triggers are crisp & smooth as a baby's behind. When you can consistantly hit deep into the black at 50 yards, you have something special in your hands. If you can find one, great, if not, please order one for yourself cause it's worth the wait!

Dave
NRA Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Pistol (the Country's 1st)

Hi that's good to know Dave :)
I was wondering if uberti would get a mention as im getting my self a uberti 1858 Stainless Steel .44 new Army, its a really nice looking gun and on half cock the cylinder spins freely but the only issue I have with it is the hammer is hard for me to pull, can I resolve this?
Thanks

Rick

Tie one end of a long cord around a building block, pass the cord over a crossbeam, and tie the other end around your thumb. Proceed to do "pull-ups" with the block. :grin:

Try that until someone comes along with a "better" solution....

The Uberti I have captures more of the finer details of the original far better than my Pietta. These include the chamfering on the trigger guard, the crosshatching on the hammer and loading lever, and the smooth shaping of the barrel that swoops up toward the forcing cone, and doesn't end abruptly like the Pietta. The grips are also much better fit (the ones on my Pietta are quite proud).Finally, the Uberti doesn't have writing all over the barrel (It's all hidden under the loading lever).

If you want to sit before the fireplace and admire the pricetag, go for the 2nd Gen Colt.

Otherwise, if you want to shoot, decide by price. Uberti and Pietta are comparable anymore. I've found QC varies by the calendar date; I have Piettas and Ubertis both that approach flawless fit and finish, and also a Uberti 1862 Colt with bad fit - enough endshake that it required better nipples just for the hammer to reach in order to fire.

Cimmaron, is a Uberti distributor, nothing more. They neither manufacture, nor inspect or hand fit firearms they sell.

Look around on-line at the major retailers. Most have Christmas sales, factor, too sales tax and shipping into the total price. Some sellers don't charge sales tax, but do charge a little more for shipping. Some have free or discount shipping this time of year, too.

smd4 said:
The Uberti I have captures more of the finer details of the original far better than my Pietta. These include the chamfering on the trigger guard, the crosshatching on the hammer and loading lever, and the smooth shaping of the barrel that swoops up toward the forcing cone, and doesn't end abruptly like the Pietta. The grips are also much better fit (the ones on my Pietta are quite proud).Finally, the Uberti doesn't have writing all over the barrel (It's all hidden under the loading lever).

Hi thanks for that :) its good to know the uberti is up there with the like of pieta :)
iv been advised to get a new set of nipples but im guessing that's just wear and tear.
iv been offered a loading stand for the cylinder
as it may be easier for me than loading on the gun and a .454 twin cavity mould, will the .454 mould be worth getting before I pick the gun up?
Thanks

Rick

dcriner said:
Does Pedersoli manufacture revolvers?
Actually, Pedersoli only makes one percussion revolver. It's a '58 Remington of the high-end quality like the Pietta "Shooters"; high quality replica, browned finish, dovetailed front sight, progressive rifling, etc. Like the Pietta, it's designed to compete in international shoots.

"Cimmaron, is a Uberti distributor, nothing more. They neither manufacture, nor inspect or hand fit firearms they sell."

The difference between Cimarron and Taylor's pistols versus a generic Uberti is that you can get different finishes for an additional cost.
You can get Case Hardened Blue, Charcoal Blue or
Original.

I've got a couple of Uberti C&Bs. Great Guns. Also, bought a couple of Cimarron (Uberti) Cartridge revolvers - both required work right out of the box. Not unusual for the Italian repros. In the end they have made great shooters. Personally the finishes offered by Cimarron are not worth the extra cost. My Bisley had the cylinder so aggressively polished prior to bluing, it would not even lock up and had to be replaced. I would rather spend the money upgrading the springs or other tweaking on the action.

My favorites are the 2nd Generation Colts with the Signature Series Colts running a close second.

Generic Uberti???

Taylors can import the same inventory that Cimmarron can. Cimmarron doesn't handle, test fire, tune, finish, or otherwise tweak Ubertis they market. They're an importer like
Taylors, Cherry, Century or any number of importers. None of them open the boxes of their imports.

The varieties of finish available on Ubertis come from the manufacturer; they are not contracted, or applied by anyone else.

Back