• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Couple BP Pheasants

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyWhiskers

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a great time today, hunting with my kids. I managed to take a couple birds with my 10ga. Also managed to miss three but nobody wants to hear about that. :grin: GW

MLPheasants005_zps38929004.jpg

Now thats great.
I missed one. Had a flash in the pan on another and then got a nice 30yd rooster. But forgot the camera!
How did you hunt? Dogs? How were the shots?

Your gun seems in the photo to have a very straight stock or is it the photo fooling me!

Brits.

Congrats to you. I never have hunted or eaten pheasant before. They are not in hillbilly country :idunno:

Of course we want to hear about the misses, that is something we can all relate to. :rotf:

Looks like some good eating, not many around here, but I like to eat them when I find them. Nice looking gear. Congratulations.

Good shooting GW! :thumbsup:
Your batting .375 Outstanding.
Pheasant dinner ahead.
Sharing an afternoon with family and friends is living right.
Gotta just love shooting blackpowder pheasants. :grin:

GREAT job GW! I wish I had the money to go for pheasant this season, but paying the oil bill trumps hunting.

Nice lookin birds. I think I have the same scattergun too!

Dave

Whiskers, that is just sweet! Congratulations on a brace of fine game birds taken the "honest" way. Care to share load details?
I hope to get out soon with BP and my 10-gauge, although it is a Model 1889 Remington ...

This is an annual planted bird hunt in my area. Wild birds were thick here when I was a kid but now they are scarce.

The Pedersoli is stocked a bit straight. I see a lot of barrel when it's shouldered.

No dog. Birds would sit tight until you stepped on em so it was perfect for my open choked scattergun. 1.5oz of #6 and the birds I hit were dead before they hit the ground. GW

Pheasants were so thick here when growing up, that many places had contests for the longest tail feather. I understand that there are multiple reasons for the decline of pheasants. Farming practices, pesticides, etc.

Young birds eat mostly insects rather than seeds. So shorter irrigation schedules and spraying cut down on the bugs.

And I used to hunt weed filled ditches, fencelines, etc. Now most fields are cleaned up.

At least the refuges have the pheasant habitat figured out and there is some good wild bird populations to hunt on them.

Latest posts

Back