• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Try for Round Balls in 12 ga.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I found some .690 round balls in my neglected items. They were for a Napoleon cannon that I built from a kit.
I loaded up 4 loads all the same except for powder charge. I started with 60 gr. FFG and went up in 5 gr. increments to 75 gr. trying to find which combo was most accurate at 25 yards.
If I can find a load that's accurate at 25 to 40 yards, I'll attempt to deer hunt with it .. a repeater. :grin:

It looks like 65 gr. and 70 gr. are what I'll build on. The 75 gr. load was lower because I aimed lower thinking it might be too high. If anything, It might have hit close to the center. I could tell I flinched on one shot expecting it to be worse than it was. I refuse to shoot a shotgun from a bench. I'm a recoil wimp.

Wouldn't say whimp...looks like you're on the right track. Just keep playing with it. When it's right, it'll be 'hey look at that!' moment. Hint...if shotguns over a bench makes you quiver, don't sit against tree trunk and try it! Don't even ask how I :doh: :haha: know!!

I shot some PRBs from a cyl bore percussion a few weeks back. I started with 85gr ffg, .690" RBs and ? for a snug patch lubed with mink oil. The first 3 shots at 50 yards were inside 4"(no rear sight). I was encouraged, but it was all downhill from there. :confused: I'll have to give it a try again and see if I can repeat that first group.

My impression was that it was a pretty mild load, and its not a heavy gun.

Pato, don't be afraid to use a different powder charge in each barrel to get them to regulate. If it takes 60 in the right and 70 in the left to snuggle up those balls on the target, you have solved the problem. Sure the velocities are different and so are the drops, but out to 50-60 yards, it shouldn't matter.

Go buy you a PAST recoil Pad. I bought one about 3 weeks ago and it sure helps when shooting off the bench. Now if the wind would stop blowing 15+ I might get out on Monday, Sunday is calling for thunderstorms an 15 to 20 winds. I'm off to Bass Pro for some X-mas shopping today.

excess650 said:
I shot some PRBs from a cyl bore percussion a few weeks back. I started with 85gr ffg, .690" RBs and ? for a snug patch lubed with mink oil. The first 3 shots at 50 yards were inside 4"(no rear sight). I was encouraged, but it was all downhill from there. :confused: I'll have to give it a try again and see if I can repeat that first group.

My impression was that it was a pretty mild load, and its not a heavy gun.

It's over 3 drams with roughly a 1 1/8 ounce load, not brutal, but not light either. But loads do pound more at the bench.

what are u shooting and what is the bore diameter. if its 730 try 715 rb thats what works in my pedrosoli trade musket it is a 730 bore.

I was shooting .690 round balls with a .023 patch. The bore measures .735". I just got some .715 balls today but haven't shot one yet.

I'm going to try 00 buckshot too. I got a .330 mold for a gang of 18.

Keep playing with it. You can even get closer to bore size with lubed paper cartridges. Buckshot is a very effective load but really, really tough to get good results with muzzleloaders without modern shotcups. If you use it, get close! :thumbsup:

Back