• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Distressing walnut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well my hopes of putting a maple stock on my T/C Hawken are gone due to a medical bill. So I am trying to think of another way to make it look the way I want. It's an older gun but was well taken care of. It is just so danged "pretty" and I don't feel in a good way. Everything shines and it just looks too mass produced. So I was thinking if there was a way to sand it and then restain it to give it a distressed or used look. Darker here lighter there. Kind of a rode hard and put up wet type of look. Any ideas you guys can throw at me?

This is reversible some what. Wax the rifle with Johnson's paste wax.
After it dries paint the whole gun black with Rustoleum flat black. When it's dry to the touch, rub it off with fine steel wool leaving highlights behind. After it's rubbed off wax and buff with paste wax.

Another thing you can do is rub your brass with BP fouling and it will tarnish.

Loan it to a distant relative for a month.

If that takes too long, loan it to a teenager for a week. :grin:

Buy some # OOOO steel wool and lightly give the stock a rub down.

Before you do this, remember, it will instantly remove any polished shiny surfaces and it's a lot of work to restore them if you don't like what it did.

Zonie always beats me to it. :wink:
The 0000 steel wool thing is the quickest method and will take away the (high undesirable, IMHO) factory shiny look. Then, with use the rifle will start to look almost respectable. That is what I did with mine. I also rubbed the brass with my gunky, dirty patches after swabbing between shots. That antiqued the parts pretty quickly.
Or, dissassemble the whole works, brass and all, use a stripper down to bare wood. Sand the wood but not with too fine a grit. Then an oil finish and you will have a good looking muzzle gun stock.

I strip the finish off and redo the gun with water based leather die. Acorn brown as a base and black in the crevices. The nice thing is you can keep rubbing it with a wet towel and rub it back to the desired look. I put the black in the low spots and the water towel blends it and leaves it in the low spots. The nice thing is you can go over it several times with the die and rub it back with water without ruining it. After it dries you can rub the high spots with steel wool and make them look worn. Lots of hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed Oil give it the warm look. Here is my walnut. For the brass, I put it in a container with a couple tablespoons of white vinegar seal it and let it set till it starts turning green. set the parts on something so just the vapor contacts it. Then rub back with a coarse cloth or 0000 wool. The steel, there are a bunch of ways.

Back