• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd flint deer, I'm done.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly goose

45 Cal.
Reaction score
It snowed here all day yesterday, and left us with about 8" of fluffy powder. Sometimes we go years here without getting to hunt deer in the snow. Not today.

I spent the morning digging myself, and a neighbor out. He's older and really appreciates the help, and its the least I can do, cause when I get in a pinch, I usually go running for a tool or advice from him. :grin:

Anyways, I loaded up my .50 and climbed in my stand about 1pm or so. On my way in I bumped a couple fawns. A good sign. This land behind my house is tough. Thick and the wind swirls more often than not. in 14 years, I've only killed one deer down there.

I bushhog trails to get the atv through and cleared a small area about 40 yards across. I have a 16 foot ladder stand that overlooks this clearing. At about 2:30 I catch movement to my right. Its a doe, looks good size, and may come into my clearing. As she moves along I notice movement behind her. Wow, its a nice rack buck. I can see plain as day, about 60 yards in the thick stuff. He stays on her trail as she meanders by through the thick stuff. Never gave me an opening, and I was looking, trust me.

They eventually wandered into the cedars and out of sight. That really got my blood pumping. I wasn't disappointed, great experience just seeing those two. At about 3:30 I catch movement to my left. I can make out a doe feeding, barely moving. 60 yards and no chance for a shot in that stuff either. Funny place to hunt, if you don't clear a lane before hand, you pretty much don't have a shot. So I keep an eye on her and keep notice of whats around as well. I've just got a feeling that this is going to be a good night.

At about 3:45 I watch a doe feed out of the cedars to my right. She slowly makes her way towards my clearing, and stays on the edge of it as she moves toward the first deer. Right at about 40 yards she stops for just a moment. I hold the sights and squeeze. Hmmm, gun no go off. Just made a funny sound and a lil bit of smoke before my face. :rotf: The doe stood there looking at me. This still didn't spoil my evening, I figured it wasn't her time.

So, I watch these two does feed in the thick stuff on my left side for about another 20 minutes. Just before sunset one of the does come back and attempts to cross the clearing at about10-15 yards. This time the gun goes boom, like it should. She falls, then gets up and runs. I can see the front shoulder flopping, I've seen this dance before. I watch as she heads toward the cedars and then piles up 50 yards later.

I don't have any pics, as momma is my techie, and she isn't real thrilled with me at the moment. She is a little happier that I have the deer all deboned and cooling in the garage for me to finish up tomorrow.

I did get a surprise though, as I was skinning her, I pulled the hide down over the shoulder and heard a thunk on the concrete floor. It was part of my ball, what a treat. It doesn't look much like a ball anymore, but what a treat to have. from my second flintlock deer. I am happy with my rifle, and happy to have a full freezer after going empty last year. Thanks for listening.

Good luck to all if your season is still going. I've got to go clean my rifle up, she has done well for me this year.

Bring on the bunnies. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Congrats Goose. All Ive killed this yr so far is coyotes,armadillos and time :idunno:

You know, it'll be 22 years this Christmas. Most of its been smooth sailing, but occasionally she gets her feathers ruffled. I think she was just a bit overwhelmed yesterday with the snow, animal chores(in the snow), and then my bringing another deer home for dinner(at dinner time no less). Her mood changed when she saw how quickly I had broken it down. Now I just have to go get some more of them vacuum bags and chunk her up and viola! All done.

Well done - congratulations!

Yes, it is important to keep Mama happy!
As long as the doings are outside the house and only the meat gets through the door - Mama is happy. :grin:

Silex

Latest posts

Back