• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 caliber round ball loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello folks. Haven't posted in a while. Been busy putting together a 36 caliber percussion rifle for a friend with a 36 inch barrel and was wondering what sort of loads do you use in your .36? How far do you like to shoot? How about a maximum useful charge?

Have used anywhere from 15 to 50 grains in different .36 cal. rifles. The variety depended on twist rate. The TC's had a fast 1-30" twist and took loads of FFFg in the 15 to 35 range well. Long rifles with slower twist usually went 25 to 50, several liked about 40. Seems they hit the 'law of diminishing returns' level in the 45 to 50 range. You can use more but the advantage in velocity gets kinda thin there. :wink:

I have a TVM in 36 . I use 40 grains as an accurate load. I have shot groundhogs out to 75 yards with this load. It tough as the sights cover up the hog . Should be no problem out to 50 yards. Sometme I use 20 grains for squirrels were the shots are up close in woods.
I have used 5 grains of black powder 3F and 30 grains of pyrodex on top of that. The black powder sets off the pyrodex fairly quick. Seems to be most accurate with 35 to 40 grains.

My .36 is a flintlock but I like 20 grains of 3F for small game. That load's accurate out to 88 yards and just a few inches low.

Just my 2 cents, as every barrel tends to like it's own sweet spot. I built a .36 longrifle with a 43" Montana barrel (1:70 twist) that likes a.355 ball with .017 tick patch over 35gr. of 3f. this produces 1 1/4 groups off of sand bag rest at 100 yd.

Toomuch
-------
Shoot Flint

Never thought pyrodex would have problems in a caplock rifle. I never had a problem with that in caplocks. Damn near useless for flintlocks though.

Only for the Cherokee the first two .36's I had date back to the early 70's! One was one of those old H&A "Minutemen" jobs. Now there was a project!! :thumbsup:

My best load so far in my .36 cap-lock rifle is 45 gr. fffG/.350 rb/ .018 patch with Hoppes #9 plus. 40 gr. is close but 45 gr. is more accurate. The barrel is by Rayle, I think a 1:48 twist.

My .36 likes 40 grains of 3f Goex for targets and for hunting squirrels. If the weather permits (above freezing) it likes for me to use spit for lubing my patches. It also seems to like patches that are lightly lubed with Bore Butter. I use a .350 ball with a patch that measures .015 uncompressed and .008 compressed.

Latest posts

Back