• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.54 cabelas percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, here is the deal. I know next to nothing about muzzle loaders. A friend gave me a .54 cabelas percussion gun a month or so back. Now I shot a couple BP guns some time back. But Old Bill showed me how to load, clean, and maintain this one. When I told a couple other friends about this gun and they "gifted" me with a bunch and I mean a WHOLE bunch of stuff that is supposed to make life easier for me.
Now this is a very utilitarian rifle. 1:28 twist, fiberglass stock, nylon sling. I have shot a dozen or so shots through it with both the 300gr Lee and the 525gr Lyman bullets. (I need lots of practice LOL)
So with this long winded intro. I am glad to have found this site. I look forward to learning and hunting with this new tool. After only the few rounds I fired, I now understand better why so many people are participants.
Please excuse my ramblings
Have a Great DAY. :v

Hey, everybody's got to start somewhere. Some of us 'greybeards' got started back during the Eisenhower Administration when choices were much thinner and it was teach yourself or do crochet! The best advise I can give you is shoot and ask questions. Repetitive shooting will help you really get the feel for the gun and you can start thinking about doing upgrades or moving up to something different depending on your wants, needs or finances!! :wink: Basically, what you have now is a rifle with a fast twist barrel which will probably give best results with the Maxi/Minie long projectiles. It will shoot patched round ball but will require mild charges for usable accuracy...don't forget that even a small as .50, you can probably throw the ball fast enough to hurt somebody! :haha: Play with the gun and get a good feel of it. Enjoy the sport and let it lead you to what you like. Welcome to the addiction!! :rotf:

Hey Pard, glad to have you with us. If you have any questions as you go along, feel free to ask. One thing I can tell you is that shooting big heavy conicals in a light weight fiberglass stocked gun is going to equal a sore shoulder. :wink:

Jeff

Hey I started out with a gifted gun and now I have more flintlocks then modern rifles and more percussions then flinters. welcome

Mid Tn. I was raised in Slate Springs born in Chattanooga. Live in Idaho. Good to hear from you. Thanks for the welcome.

Thanx for the advice Wes Tex. As far as greybeards go, I qualify. I was there in Tet 68. 66years old and counting. Been spending my hunting years with centerfires and bows. Make my own Long bows knap my own heads. Miss lots of deer LOL. I do look forward to this new addiction.

Welcome from another guy new to the muzzleloader fraternity. I have 2, inexpensive percussion rifles, but only shoot my flintlock. The addiction didn't take long.

A bunch of us were drafted in '67, with late January of '68 just around the corner. I received my 1A classification notice a few months before the birthday lottery where I would have been #269.

Ron

RonRC said:
Welcome from another guy new to the muzzleloader fraternity. I have 2, inexpensive percussion rifles, but only shoot my flintlock. The addiction didn't take long.

A bunch of us were drafted in '67, with late January of '68 just around the corner. I received my 1A classification notice a few months before the birthday lottery where I would have been #269.

Ron
My draft lottery number was 5. Despite receiving a draft notice, I appealed to the Selective Service Board and managed to keep a student deferment to finish college first...

I volunteered at 17 yrs old. Spent my 18 th birthday in W. Germany. My next birthday (19) was spent in Nam. (early 65)
I was home 3 days after my 20 th birthday

Welcome to the camp, thanks for your service. I too spent some time dressed in green , although not a early as you or some of the others. Any questions you have just send them down range and you will get replies aplenty. where abouts in ID are you? Jim

Yeah, I just want to say thanks for your service as well. That means all you guys who served.!! :thumbsup:

Jeff

Back