• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder flask original or fake!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Stefan from Sweden and I am new on this forum. I wonder if it is possible to say with only these pictures if this powder flask is original or a fake.
I should really appreciate all help I can get.
Best,
Stefan
Sweden

Same here, there should be writing on he top ring of the flask, this would be the makers name. originals usually have a name, reproductions do not. All of my originals are marked.

The flask in the photos is the Ames "Peace Flask" but it is difficult to say whether it is real or a reproduction that has been aged.

It is correct in having the correct number of stars in a circle, the eagle looking to its right, the olive branches and arrows in the correct talons and the single drape of flags hanging from the bottom point of the shield.

What is troubling is the lack of marking on the cap.
These flasks were usually marked with the name of the maker: "AMES" and often carried other markings including inspectors initials.

There was also a Peace Flask made by Batty which had a different number of stars in an oval form and a double drape of flags hanging from the shield.

Digging thru my old Dixie catalogs I notice they at one time offered a Italian made reproduction "Peace Flask" which had the stars in the Batty oval pattern but the eagle was looking in the wrong direction and the drape of flags was also wrong. That made using this flask to fake a real one impossible.

Further looking shows later Italian reproductions that were correct in the stars, the eagle and the flag drape.

Putting this all together, without the correct markings on the top of the flask makes it very suspicious.

Thank you very much all of you for your opinions.
I really appreciate it.
Best,
Stefan
Stefan

Back