• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help me identify this carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
received_m_mid_1386084482475_6a45037f609f9be693_2_zps7d3304b0.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

British Army Victorian Cavalry Saddle Ring Carbine. Rear sight I am not familiar with...

You'll be asked to look for and take closeup pics of cartouches and barrel stamps, etc. for more details.

Those are the only pics I have of it. He said it was a "farbed dixie smoothbore 24 gauge. He wants $150 for it. Is that a good buy? What is the value of this gun?

What you have there is an "India" pattern 1858 smooth-bore carbine, caliber .656.
It was manufactured either in London, or Birmingham by the Trade
This, and other patterns were served out to the Indian army after the 1857 mutiny.
By the photos, I would jump on it, and if you aren't interested, well I would be :thumbsup:

The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

Knew navy Arms imported them, so assume Dixie did as well. That is the very type carbine old shooting pal had and one day while we are out shooting with friends I got distracted while pouring powder and Lord alone knows how much I actually loaded. KABOOM!! And I literally took a step back...witnesses said I may have poured an Old Fashion size glass of powder in that little carbine! Where ever Navy got them, they built them well. I've never done it since...even idiots learn from their mistakes!

Hi,
You have a very nice find!
You can shoot pumkins out of it now and have fun, OR you can have it rifled to .69 cal. and then have an awesome hunting rifle.
If you don't keep it keep me in mind.
Old Ford

Thanks everyone for your Help!! I ended up passing on it. I did so because I have a friend who is very knowledgable about blackpowder and he said make sure it is not a india import as he heard that they have problems blowing up. Not sure if that's because of user error or poor quality of parts. He said to him it looked like a 1872 enfield carbine but its hard to tell without better pics. I also ended up passing on it because I think im going to tackle my first kit build or might get a BP revolver

jump on it. it is being given away. bob hoyt can rifle it for you about 60 buckskins plus shipping if no rebore is needed

Latest posts

Back