• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need som help with Identity of a rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well you will have to live without photos for now but the rifle that I have is marked with " R. DRIESBACH".That is the only markings on it.It has a l&r lock and davis double set triggers.
The barrel,lock, and trigger unit is browned.
It has matt finish brass hard ware.
A non buckhorn non-ajustable rear sight and a brass blade front sight.
.36 caliber no pits, bulges or tight places in the bore.
No rust , good tight fit on lock ,barrel tang, thimbles, and barrel it's self.
I have been told that the famous gun maker from Ohio spelled his name with the "E" in front of the "I" but people have also said that it is the barrel maker or some body else with the same name? :idunno:

Stockell lists a Samuel Driesbach and a John Driesback both of Mifflinburg, Union Co. PA, but no R Driesbach.

Where is the name marked - on the barrel? engraved or stamped or somewhere else??

Obviously recent with L&R and Davis components. I don't recognize the name as one of the more noted contemporary builders of the past 20 years...

Stamped on the barrel imbetween the rear sight and breech.

So that's definitely the builder's name unless they were attempting a replica of an original (for example you see S Hawken stamped into a replica to add to the overall appearance).

I use 1/8" metal letter stamps to put my last name on the bottom flat of the barrel up near the breech end. Some day may give someone else the same issue you are having now.

So if it is the builders name, and he/she was a hobby builder (like myself), or not very prolific you may never know.

Pics would certainly help at least determine exactly what it is you have - specific school, a replica of a specific gunsmith of yesteryear, a mongrel etc...

In any event, if it's a nice looking rifle in good shape, a 36 is fine for squirrels/small game and perfect for punching paper - inexpensive to shoot and not enough recoil to buck a dragonfly off the barrel when fired..

Impossible to tell without pics...

Anybody can take a barrel and do a restock, it's the stock architecture that identifies the individual that make the gun...

Yeah it is great it only has a couple of very miner dings other wise it s very good shape.

I got to figure out how to upload pictures but I am work in on it . I'll get pics up when can get it to work. :idunno:

Latest posts

Back