• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap Jam Fix On Colt Pocket Models

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
After watching Mr. Beliveau's video where he replaced the stock nipples on his '51 Navy with Slix Shot nipples I wondered if anyone has fixed their Colt Pocket model with only a swap with these nipples instead of the many other things I've read some do.

Usually between 15 and 22 grains of triple 7 using round ball, Kaido flat nose, or lee round nose bullets

I've read that many have changed their stock nipples out to TRESO's, but still had continual cap jams.

Those of you who have switched to TRESO's don't have a problem with cap jams? I don't mean never a jam, but I've seen Mr. Beliveau's video in which it would jam about 3 times each cylinder!

I think the only way to "Fix" the cap jamming with a Colt is to become very proficient at that "flip" of the wrist it takes,,
Or
Sell the Colt and buy a Remington.

If only someone made a repro of the Remington Police!

But I still like the looks of the Colt.

Some range officers would likely not care much for you tipping your pistol. Maybe if you rolled it sideways, but I'm not sure if there's room for that idea to work.

A lot of people don't consider up a safe direction to point a gun.

I have when I'm out in the middle of nowhere, though many might flame me for it. I wouldn't do it where I didn't feel I was far from others.

The simplest fix for cap jams is to fill in that safety notch on the hammer face. Brazing or welding would be best but I have used JB Weld on mine and I rarely get caps under the hammer any more. The split caps get jammed into that cutout and then the hammer pulls them off the nipple and they drop into the action. With a smooth hammer face the cap may get blown back a bit but it doesn't stick to the hammer and get pulled off. Any replacement nipple with a smaller flash hole will help too. If you fill the notch then you can't use the safety pins between the nipples on the back of the cylinder to hold the hammer. You'd best just load 5 chambers and rest the hammer on the empty one. I've seen ASM & Pietta Colt clones that don't even have the safety pins but still use a hammer with a notch for them.

I'm havin a mod done to one of mine to double ensure no jams. If I understand correctly Manhattan Arms version of the Colt had some type of shield or something to fix this problem on their revolvers

Your right. I've seen them too. A simple curved
piece if sheet metal that fits in front of the
hammer from the left. That guides the cap past the
curve in the hammer and off to the right side and
out...
Wulf

Back