• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fouling Shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Boar 58

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i have not purchased my traditional BP rifle yet, but i do have a question.

i am used to a modern smokeless rifle and the technique of a fouling shot, so when hunting the first shot out of the barrel won't be a flyer.

is this technique possible in a traditional BP rifle? i see a lot of threads that talk of completely cleaning the barrel in hours after use, and don't wait til the next day. what if you've lightly oiled the barrel after cleaning? how is that first shot when hunting going to be the same as a "wiping" after each shot at the range and not a complete cleaning?

any ideas and thoughts are appreciated. thanks

You will probably get different views on this.

When hunting I never fire a fouling shot. I figure, I have worked up my load, patch, lube combo that gives me a good group at my zero point (75 yards in my case) and my first and second shot doesn't vary from my point of aim than say my 2nd and 3rd and so on. (I do get some fliers, probably more do to a twitch or failing to properly follow my established loading sequence)

I personally know a couple of target shooters who always foul the barrel before taking "shots that count", but also know other who don't - I personally believe it's more of a personal thing - some "believe" others don't.

One other thing to consider. If you are hunting successive days you can leave a charge of powder and a ball (or bullet) loaded IF you didn't take a fouling shot (again there are yes and no votes on that one too).

If you foul then you have either shoot out the load or pull it and clean the rifle to prevent rust..

Once you have your rifle and start working with it, you can really answer your own question.

But my vote is - no fouling shot in hunting conditions (never did that with my CF's either)..

Given the premise that Traditional BP arms are generally used for shot's within and out too 100yrds while in a Hunting situation, the need for a fouling shot means about as much as it would with CF guns at the same range.

If your experienced with CF, then your experienced with CF hunters. While there are those that consider accuracy utmost, the vast majority of CF deer hunters are very happy with pie plate accuracy at 100.

If time is spent developing a proper load for your traditional rifle you can get better than that.

Of course you don't want any oil in the bore,,
Clean it out, :idunno:

as an aside;
There are several member here that pursue techniques with ML's using Bullets (not round ball) and fast twist barrels that do harvest large game in the 200yrd range. But this takes dedication to detail and a lot of practice.

Like they said it's your choice. When you shoot your gun take note of where it shoots on the first shot as opposed to where it shoots after it is fouled. Probably won't be more than a couple inches. Then you will know where to adjust your aim. You don't need pinpoint accuracy for hunting deer. Just reasonable accuracy to get in the kill zone.

galamb said:
I personally know a couple of target shooters who always foul the barrel before taking "shots that count", but also know other who don't
Your right about that, but you have to remember there are target shooters that win matches,
and those that don't.

I don't foul the barrel. Using real BP, the fouling will suck moisture out of the air and dampen the pan, touchhole and breech.

I've also found that shots from a clean barrel don't deviate enough from a dirty barrel to worry about.

Your mileage may vary.

thanks for all the replies

what is the best way to clean the oil out of the barrel without shooting it out?

also, is it ok to snap a couple of caps to clear out anything in the nipple - will this rust the barrel?

Popping a couple of caps is often recommended to ensure everything is clear - and they are not corrosive.

I always run a clean patch down the barrel before I load and if it comes back excessively oily, a second patch (on the first load after cleaning - I don't wipe between every shot on my round bottomed rifled barrels (usually every 3rd shot if just punching paper or plinking), sometimes, but not always after each shot on my square rifled barrels - others do).

There is also nothing wrong with running a clean patch down the barrel "after" it's loaded and I often do if I have been walking through the woods for a while just in case "cooties" got in the barrel..

Big Boar 58 said:
what is the best way to clean the oil out of the barrel without shooting it out?
Rubbing alcohol (90%) or Denatured alcohol cuts the oil just fine.
I plug the nipple then pour some in slosh it back-n-forth, pour it out, then remove the nipple and pour some through,, a patch or two and good to go.

thanks for that explanation. what about Barricade? can a thin film of this be left in the barrel or is this considered an oil that needs to be removed before loading?

I don't know I don't use it.
I have read from the fellers here that use it state that if the Barricade is used lightly all that's needed is a few dry patches to wipe it out.

I'm always apprehensive of oil finding it's way into the fire channel. If it does it'll plug it up right quick. So I always use the Denatured alcohol trick.
It's proven fail safe for me, others mileage may vary. :wink:

Bakeoven Bill said:
I don't foul the barrel. Using real BP, the fouling will suck moisture out of the air and dampen the pan, touchhole and breech.

I've also found that shots from a clean barrel don't deviate enough from a dirty barrel to worry about.

Your mileage may vary.

Reposted as a ditto. :thumbsup:
A dry patch can be run down a barrel. But a light oil coating won't hurt anything for that first shot.
I believe the 'fouling shot' notion is an old myth with no basis, ml or modern.

Put your money up Rifleman, I'll prove it to you. I have proven this over and over throughout the years. My henry will shoot one inch high, two inches right consistently with a clean bore. One flouling shot later it prints dead in the center of the X.

laffindog said:

Put your money up Rifleman, I'll prove it to you. I have proven this over and over throughout the years. My henry will shoot one inch high, two inches right consistently with a clean bore. One flouling shot later it prints dead in the center of the X.

There are few absolutes in the shooting game, modern or ml. Less in the ml game. I don't doubt your experience. But, even you, probably have to admit, the guy next to you with a near identical rifle and set-up may X it on the first shot. It is well known that military snipers often compete using a cold, clean barrel. In the field they don't have the luxury of taking a fouling shot before going for the score.

Rifleman1776 said:
....It is well known that military snipers often compete using a cold, clean barrel. In the field they don't have the luxury of taking a fouling shot before going for the score.

True Sir, but at the same time, you can ask any designated marksman (PC for sniper), and they will tell you the strike of the first shot (no wind) out of a clean barrel, at multiple known distances. As opposed to the second and subsequent shots, because they are typically not in the equation!

And because of that, their rifles are typically zeroed for the first shot.

Their moto says it all! One Shot, One Kill!

Never saw any reason to dirty up a clean bore.

If the gun shoots to a different point of aim dirty and clean i will try to work up a load that puts balls from a clean and dirty bore in the same group. If the gun refuses to do that it goes away.

Big Boar 58- I'll tell how I do it and it sounds like I might be wrong on a few things but anyway..
1. There is shooting at the range and hunting. If you are shooting at the range all your shots after the first will be in a fouled bore so sights are set, etc on how the fouled bore shoots. BUT with some guns it doesn't make a difference. HUNTING is a one shot, clean bore deal- so sight in accordingly. Take a shot, swab- clean up the bore, take another shot, etc- when setting the sights.
2. Oil in the bore. Some oils if left in the bore and the gun is fired- those oils will turn into a brown tar that's hard to remove so ALWAYS clean out the oil prior to shooting- I use plain old rubbing alcohol.
3. Snapping the cap- I always do that to make sure the nipple is clear. A cap is powerful and if you point the muzzle at sand or a blade of grass- the blast from the cap will move the grass or make a dimple in the sand. If this doesn't happen the nipple is clogged. BUT...I always thought nipples left a corrosive residue- not as bad as black powder but still requiring cleaning. Is that true that percussion cap residue is NOT corrosive?
4. If you have a sidelock (that ought to be the case on this forum) then a CO2 dispenser is an invaluable tool- it too is powerful so aim the muzzle in a safe direction and the CO2 dispenser unloads the ball. That saves shooting the load out at day's end when you are hunting(and you don't have to clean the gun).

(paraphrased from an article by Sam Fadala who wrote the Lyman black powder books)

There may be some older caps out there that (used to) contain Mercury and then later potassium chlorate which is corrosive.

Modern caps made in the US contain lead styphnate now which is not corrosive.

THANK YOU! As I said I usually snap a cap before loading up on a hunt and if I'm hunting 3 days in a row I take off the cap at day's end and put it back on the next day but that snapped cap- I always worried about possible rust- haven't experienced any but I was still worrying. Don't have to worry anymore.

Latest posts

Back