• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What type of brass barrel brush for a 58 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gettysburg63

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 58 cal. rifle musket would like to use a brass brush for insides of the barrel. Would I use a 20 gauge or 12 gauge?

Don't do it , your next post will be how do I get a stuck brass brush out of my barrel , do a search on this topic , a jag and cleaning patches is all that is needed . :)

He can use a brush with no problems if he gets the right brush. There are two types. The twisted type and the crimped type. The crimped one's will get stuck in the barrel. Th twisted one's are safe and I recommend to use them. Ron

Gettysburg63 said:
...a 20 gauge or 12 gauge?

You don't really need a brush, as others are telling you too. But if you decide to use one, stay waaaaaaaay clear of that 12 gauge brush. The 20 bore is around .62 while the 12 is around .72. You'll be winning the jackpot if you don't manage to jam the 12 gauge brush in the bore.

There's good potential to jam the 62 too, but your prospects are better for getting it out without surgery. If it jams, twist the rod clockwise to force the bristles to bend to the side and free themselves. Of course with the extra force, you'll test the rod hardware and the rod itself. If the hardware comes unpinned or your rod breaks, you're in the same surgery suite as with a stuck 12 gauge brush. If you turn the rod counterclockwise and unscrew the brush in the bore, the situation isn't a whole lot better.

BTW- If you're set on a brush, Track of the Wolf sells 58 cal brushes. Just remember the rod-twist trick if it ever jams.

Gettysburg63 said:
I have a 58 cal. rifle musket would like to use a brass brush for insides of the barrel. Would I use a 20 gauge or 12 gauge?

.58 cal. is 24 guage, vs. vs. Purchase a 24 ga. brush. Be careful with it. If it gets stuck give it a twist at the bottom of the stroke and reverse it at the same time. That twist should be clockwise, the same direction as tightening the threads or it won't work.

I found out the hard way. Those brushes get stuck!

1601phill said:
Don't do it , your next post will be how do I get a stuck brass brush out of my barrel , do a search on this topic , a jag and cleaning patches is all that is needed . :)

I took Chuck Dixons advice, if I buy something a bit hazy in the barrel... and the comment is possibly a bit paraphrased :grin: ...

If you need a bore brush for a BP gun, you arent cleaning it often enough, or the right way. But if you feel you do young man (I was @ 50 at the time), go 1 size smaller than the bore, and wrap the brush in 000 or 0000 steel wool! It will work the same as the brush, and not get stuck in the bore! Just use enough to make it tight!

Maybe a few of you guys can picture him all gruffy about it at the counter! I felt I had my knuckles rapped by the Schoolmarm!!!:rotf:

I've been using bronze brushes since 1978 and never had one "get stuck". I use them for "field cleaning" or at the range in lieu of a wet patch...never had a misfire w/ them due to clogging up the TH. A little common sense dictates the correct brush diameter....if it's "too big" it WILL get stuck. A wire brush is also used in the normal cleaning procedure....along w/ wet patches and flushing. No harm will be "inflicted" on the bore w/ a wire brush and it surely does clean out the corners.....Fred

What size brushes do you use? I got one stuck on a .50, and the brush was designed for a .50. I don't remember the exact dimensions, but the brush was only slightly larger than the bore, and I mean slightly. I thought I did use common sense.

I can get all the crud out of the corners with warm water, and a patch.

flehto said:
I've been using bronze brushes since 1978 and never had one "get stuck". I use them for "field cleaning" or at the range in lieu of a wet patch...never had a misfire w/ them due to clogging up the TH. A little common sense dictates the correct brush diameter....if it's "too big" it WILL get stuck. A wire brush is also used in the normal cleaning procedure....along w/ wet patches and flushing. No harm will be "inflicted" on the bore w/ a wire brush and it surely does clean out the corners.....Fred

I clean a .45, .50 and a .54 and just buy bronze brushes as advertised for each caliber. Some confusion might arise when buying brushes for a gage that's used in what is thought of as an equivalent caliber..never did so, but can see where this might be trouble.

I normally use a brush when loading gets a little hard and just dump the debris...surprizing how well it works in lieu of a wet patch......Fred

I've just used the worm (looks like a double corkscrew) that came with my gun. Hot soapy water, a cleaning patch and it pumps the water in and out, leaving the bore clean. I went to use an undersized bronze brush on an old .45 percussion, inserted but barely, then gave it a tug to see how free it was. I'm talking maybe halfway into muzzle. Had to use pliers to yank it out. I can't imagine the fun to be had removing one well down bore.

I don't like using brass brushes in my barrels at all. I just feel like they are a bit too abrasive. If you look around a bit you can find some synthetic/nylon brushes that seem to be much more gentle but do pretty much the same job. Just my 2 cents...Mick C :hatsoff:

Back