• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Actually recovered a round ball this evening

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawk driver

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Knocked off a doe this evening, 93 yards with a Renegade .54. She was quartering towards me, light was fading and she wouldn't turn broadside. Finally took the shot before it got too dark. Ball went in the shoulder blade, and when dressing it out, I found the ball under the skin about 6 inches behind the rib cage. Ball had almost no damage to it. Slightly flattened out where it went thru the shoulder, but not as flattened as I thought it would be. She went about 40 yards and went down. First one I have recovered.

What was the powder charge?
I would have expected it to flatten.
Great shot.

Geo. T.

Bout 20 years ago my pop shot a buffalo with a .58 540ish conical and it went through one shoulder and we could feel bulging out on the other, still have that bullet. Two shoulders and a near pass through....90 grains RS pyrodex as I recall.

90 grains of Grafs 2F. I was surprised that I actually recovered it, and that it looked the way it did. It really looks like someone filed one side kinda flat. The rest of the ball looks almost perfect with faint patch imprints around it.

http://s475.photobucket.com/user/hawk_driver/media/002.jpg.html

002.jpg

There is the ball. Deer photo is on my phone, which is not a smart phone and I don't do internet on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work Hawk. Those Renegades are fine rifles and that roundball looks like it did its job perfectly.

Jeff

hawk driver said:
90 grains of Grafs 2F. I was surprised that I actually recovered it, and that it looked the way it did. It really looks like someone filed one side kinda flat. The rest of the ball looks almost perfect with faint patch imprints around it.

hawk driver - I killed a 3 point buck, maybe 125#, a few years ago with the same shot you took. It was about 30 yards, and load was .535 ball fueled by 85 grains 2f. The ball was flat but not expanded, recovered behind the ribcage bulging the hide out. The roundball does the job, but I too, thought it would have expanded. It was a Hornady swaged ball.

I recover about 1/2 of the round balls from deer I shoot. I shot a spike at 6am Wed morning & it took out one rib going in & 2 ribs going out. Ball was about 12" from the exit under the hide. Then shot a doe at 9:30am & same thing, the ball is really flat on both of them. Here is the one I shot the spike with & a new ball beside it.

Both deer dropped in their tracks. My load is 75 grains of Scheutzen 2F, .530 RB, .016 greased pillow ticking patch.

Keith Lisle

I'm still a rookie with my flintlock. I didn't think to look for my ball until I had removed all internals. Next time.
Great pics, thanks.

Back