• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newest Horn finally finished!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo40

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally finished this horn I started quite awhile back, wanted kind of a German hunting theme, hence the edelweiss flowers an German hunting blowhorn and of course a big boar being jumped by hunting hounds! I left a little spot to add something later but haven't decided what yet, since I'm in no hurry an this is my horn, I'll think of something. Hope you like it, if not then :blah:

Wow, gorgeous! I wish I had that kind of artistic talent.

If you have a sense of humor, put "Made in China" in that blank spot. :grin:

WOW Chis, Damn that looks good! Making this old man look bad!....Heck! Your making a lot of us Horners look bad!

Great job and I wondered where you have been and now I know!

Rick :hatsoff:

Wow!

This is a fine horn! I like the motive and the details.

Silex

Thanks Rick, I get on here every day an look but haven't done or finished anything worth contributing in a long while, working on other interest but now trying to finish up some horns I'd started last year then got sidetracked.
The tip of this horn was already dark but soaked it in some RIT dark brown, RIT is all I ever use to stain a horn.
Thanks for all the comments.
Chris

The first tow things for inscriptions that immediately popped into my fevered mind were:

"Das ist des Jagers Ehrenschiid, das er beschutzt und hegt sein Wild, weidmannish jagt, wie scih's gehort, den Schopfer in Geschopfe ehrt"

Yes sir, right off the Jagermeister label! Not srue of the original origin, but it can be thought of as a jager's motto or pledge.
The second is the old, much quoted gem:

"Alle Kunst ist umsunst, wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunst!"

When I showed the second one to an older German couple I knew from New Braunfels, Hilde put her hand over her mouth and turned the color of a beet and Alfred snickered and grinned. Alfred seemed to think about it for a second and said,'You know, the artillery guys still say that." I know they're a fine, conservative couple but was intrigued and asked if he'd been in the German army...he seemed to be knowledgeable. He straightened up, almost to an "Attention" position and said, proud as punch, "Panzer Grenadiers!" I was stunned, this nice old man had been one of those tough nuts that jumped off the half-track and charged in with the panzers to get "in amongst'em" with stick grenades and Panzerfaust!...and that stuff was only good at close range and with side shots! Yikes!

Let me try again...accidentally hit the post button and we had a little brown out, common around here and had to wait it out, and passed 'edit' time.

Anyway, I wanted to say that the "Angels & Touch Holes" verse is an old form of German. Alfred & Hilde told me the modern spelling would be "umsonst" and Zundlock was a masculine noun and it should be "der", if memory serves...it's been just a few years now! Also, my computer can't type the Umlaut for the correct German spelling on the first verse, some of our members from Germany or with a much better grasp of the language may jump in here and tell you the right stuff.

"Alle Kunst ist umsunst, wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunst!"

The original translation and seen engraved on a few original powder horns was: "All skill is in vain, when an angel pis__'s in your frizzen (sometimes powder)"!

I'm not qualified to critique your outstanding work, but I sure do like this horn! :hatsoff:

Back