• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58cal Early Virginia / High Shoulder Shot gets it done

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
.58cal Early Virginia made smoke late this afternoon.

A little before dark I saw movement out in the trees in the oak flat I was watching.
Turned out to be three deer, 2 Does and a yearling, snuffling along through the deep leaves for a scarce acorn, and I figured if they kept on course they’d come within range so I just sat still.

There was no looking back over their shoulder like there might be a Buck coming along, they just kept poking along taking forever to get in range. When the closest Doe finally broke into an opening between some trees at about 35-40yds, I took her with a high shoulder shot, dropped in her tracks.

Been a good season so far filling all 4 Doe tags”¦and when I dropped it off to that needy family I give them to, the big smile was icing on the cake for today’s hunt.

.58cal Early Virginia, 100grns Goex 2F, .028” pillow ticking, .570”/279grn cast lead ball.

Congratulations once again! :hatsoff: Was it was evening when you saw these deer?

That's the way to do it Roundball, I will be looking to whack a few does with my 58 this weekend during TN opening of firearms season.

Used to be I was totally committed to 'bucks only' until buck tags were filled, then I'd try for some Does. But now, retired, with the clock ticking...LOL...I'm playing the cards I'm dealt.
It's no longer very satisfying (for me) to get up early a lot of days and/or get home late a lot of days, the whole time passing on Does hoping for a big buck to show up...no more...I'll take them as I can, no matter the order, LOL.
Somebody asked what time of day today...this was an afternoon hunt and they showed about 15-20 minutes before black dark.

Good shooting Roundball!
That doe looks very healthy .
Your in need family will be eating right! :thumbsup:
Take them (deer)as they come and enjoy!
The wife and I had Venison backstrap grilled last night...Oh the pleasure!
Hope "Mr Big" walks into your sights ...
Your Honey hole is paying off....Keep the pic's coming...Dan

Did you get a pass through?

You are definitely an excellent shot AND hunter, roundball! That's very nice of you to help needy families and I know it must be satisfying :thumbsup:

Nothing succeeds like success!...and doing something to help those that need it is just icing! :hatsoff:

No, didn't get a pass-through...was a little surprised, but on the other hand the ball did drive through a shoulder, then break-through the vertebrae, then deal with the other shoulder...and the ball being lighter at 279grns compared to the 325grn .62cal, I guess it didn't quite make it. I didn't open her up to check...I'm spoiled with this needy family close by and "Roundball's Meals On Wheels" delivers them clean & warm...LOL.

I suspect that family is probably serving as a front end for others because the 50 something county gal takes all I'll give her...or, she's just going through the back and taking out the back straps, dunno...and more importantly, I'm not going to ask. I asked her last night if she was getting tired of messing with them, or getting too many too fast and she said no, that she'd take any I could spare...win-win for everybody involved.

I gave her a spare electric knife sharpener last year and she was thrilled with that...dropped off a box of grocery store bakery Christmas cookies during the holidays, will do something similar again this Christmas...good country folks, just really struggling.

Last edited by a moderator:
You found a good home for your game!WinWin For sure! :thumbsup:
Hope to do my field testing this weekend..Come on snow! :grin:

makeumsmoke said:
You found a good home for your game!WinWin For sure! :thumbsup:
Hope to do my field testing this weekend..Come on snow! :grin:
I'd like to hunt / take one in the snow.........naahhh, never mind.
:grin:

roundball said:
I'd like to hunt / take one in the snow.........naahhh, never mind.
:grin:
That's two of us...it's bad enough at 35, rainy and windy. You can't wear enough clothes then! 77 last night...35 tonight! Windy and rainy as well and the deer were smarter than I am! Only saw a big ole Bobcat...and mean "BIG OLE"!!!

I sat a different place I have to hunt this afternoon, 15 miles away from the other 2 places...hoped to see some horns but instead, 30 minutes before dark a couple of Does came walking thru...one of which looked like a mule...a HUGE deer...hard as I looked I couldn't grow any horns on her, LOL...and couldn't shoot her cause I'd used up all my Doe tags.
Got home and bought/downloaded/printed off some Bonus Doe Tags...will see if I can tag her in the next week or so.

Latest posts

Back