• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best way to strip bluing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugflipper

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a browned barrel coming in a week or so. The fellow said he would send me some of his browning to match up the rest of the rifle. If I like it I'll probably do some of the other rifles as well. So I was wondering what you folks use to strip the bluing? On hand the only thing I have that I could think of that I have is CLR. Just looking for more ideas to see if anything would be better.
Thanks

I always use my sand blast cabinet with 80 grit garnet sand and then glass beads. This will clean and texture the surface to readily except almost any rust blue or brown agent on the first pass. It goes a long way in making the finish more even as well.
I know that often the originals were not finished very well if at all but I think they should be if one is going to go to all the other decorative embellishment common to them.
Some rust blue or brown jobs done now days will show streaking, blotching or unevenness in bright sun light unless down well. I have seen these jobs roughed up with sand paper and tool scratches, apparently to cover the poor quality, and is called "antiquing".
Use is the only authentic Antiquing and can be speed up by handling your gun wearing leather gloves. Mike D.

Depends on what you want to end up with.

If you don't mind a pretty rough surface Naval Jelly will work fine.

If you have a smooth surface and you want to keep it, Birchwood Casey "Blue and Rust Remover" will remove the bluing without attacking the metal.

A word about using a cold browning agent: It works best if the surface is slightly rough.
It has difficulty in getting a "bite" on very smooth surfaces.

Evaporust!!

it'll take the bluing off of metal and also browning ( rust) :wink: works by chelation I believe its called.. the solution ( you can find it at Harbor Freight ) attacks only the oxides.. the base metal is unharmed. The chemical is considered safe and can be poured down the drain when used up..

Works great and has a LOT of other applications..
I like to find OLD tools, clean em' up and get them back into use!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Naval gel, toilet bowl cleaner and blue remover are almost always the same chemical. Phosphoric acid. I strip blue on a regular basis for engraving. I buy phosphoric acid at the hardware store and cut it with water to about 30%. You can use it straight but be careful not to leave it in the acid too long or it will etch. Usually about 10 minutes is enough then just brush with a wire fine brush. I don't recommend sanding unless the surface was rough to begin with. The same thing goes for browning.

Back