• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is T/C or CVA still making traditional rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby James

36 Cal.
Reaction score
For the last few days I have been studying what is out there and have pretty much memorized the list from Lynams and Traditions but Thompson Center and CVA only show modern type muzzleloaders and no wood stock side locks.

Have they stopped making them since they are not on their web sites?

Where can I find a Thompson Hawken in .54 cal?

I know Thompson does not make the Seneca do to a fire, my son has a .36 cal Seneca so I am luck to have one but I am also going to get one for me if I can find a good one.

They both quit. I don't know when T/C quit but CVA quit several years ago. There are still some kits out there that haven't been sold yet if you look around and there are still Traditions.

So if I see a .50 cal Thompson at my local pawn shop for $175 with a so called broken set trigger should I jump on it?

Would it be safe to say to start collect old Thompsons?

No, today's mind set is newer is always better. It's a shame people are so gullible.

If the barrel and stock is in good shape,you can find a new trigger assembly. I would say $175 is fair.

1. How much does a comparable Thompson go for?
2. How much is a new trigger?
3. Is the barrel good?
Those are the key questions. IMO

Bobby James said:
So if I see a .50 cal Thompson at my local pawn shop for $175 with a so called broken set trigger should I jump on it?

I've come across several TC's with "broken triggers" that were not broken.

The previous owner had screwed the adjustment screw in too far so the rear trigger wouldn't remain set. A few turns of the screwdriver fixed them in no time.

Don't tell the seller about this though. Tell him you like the gun but you sure don't like the broken trigger. Then offer him $160 cash on the barrelhead.

There is almost nothing in a set trigger that actually can break. A heavy spring, a small catch on the front trigger that could be worn. Not much else there to go wrong.

Actually, if it isn't the adjustment screw a replacement trigger can be bought for not a great deal of money.

If the barrels bore is in good shape, buy it. :)

Several of the distributors had T/C Hawkins listed in their fall 2012 catalogs... but when they were gone, they're gone. :shake:

I kind of knew that the set triger is not broken. I even almost gave it away when looking. One was $200 and one was $175. The lady handing me the rifle told.me it was cheaper because the triger was broken. I spoke out and said " I bet it is really just" as I started to point to the screw, then I realized what I was about to give away so I pointed to the front triger and said "well I guess its really broken". I am not a gunsmith so I cant give them a diagnosis.

I will pull in on Friday and offer $325 for both.

Is it ok to re-blue a barrel or might it make the future value decline?

BrownBear said:
Bobby James said:
...future value....

Don't hold your breath on that one! Waaaaaay too many of them around. Blue it and enjoy it.
Truth that, there are millions of TC's around, they are not going to have any appreciable collector value for another hundred years.
I will not put one in the safe now for my 20yr old son to retire with when he's 70. He'll be much better off keeping then selling the custom builds that already have higher value.
Going from 200 to 500 in 50yrs,, :idunno: :td:

You could be like one of the guys here that's gone on a binge and has 40 TC's,, thing is he's selling them off now and keeping a few select stocks with custom barrels.

Don't get me wrong, they're a good rifle, I have two plus a spare stock,(Renegades) they're handy and decent shooters, yet far from the Alpha and Omega.
Scrounge around for a CVA Mountian Rifle, that's another keeper, or the Traditions St. Louis,, it has a slow twist.

if you can find a unopened kit or a new old stock rifle that hasn't been shot and no rust, you will have something to collect.(but with that said they still are not worth more than $4 or $500 bucks) There are many t/c's out there on the market but most are rusted or have cracked stocks. Just about all the t/c's from the 70's and 80's are gone from the south. No one wants them anymore, the inline craze and now the option to use centerfire guns to deer hunt with has killed the traditional ml guns. It won't be to many more years and all the unshot t/c's will be history. In the south there is only a very small crowd that still owns or hunts with traditional ml's compared to the northern states.

Bobby James said:

Yes. There are several places where parts are available.
And many times the locks and trigger assemblies are made by third parties

2FFg53 said:
No the .54 barrel will not fit a .50 gun, the outside barrel measurements are different.
Oop's Green Mountain does/did offer a 54 drop in for TC's using a 15/16" barrel.
I have one.

But be aware Bobby, TC does have two different barrel sizes. Most Hawken models use a 15/16 with a few of the later models offering in 1" and the Renegades all use a 1" barrel.
Barrels are measured across the outside from one flat of the octagon to the opposing outside flat.

My .50 cal TC Hawken uses a 15/16 inch barrel but my .54 cal TC Hawken uses a 1 inch barrel (measured across the flats).

Back