• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

talk me into or out if a Lyman trade rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybadger45

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey all,
This is my first post. My local shop purchased a load of black powder firearms from an estate recently and is parceling them out for awesome prices. By awesome, I mean I picked up a never fired and in the box Paterson repop for 200.00+ tax. They have a never fired Lyman percussion trade rifle in. 54 for the same price,that feelsgood to me and is pleasing to my eyes. Are there any con's to this particular piece? Thanks in adavance!

Should be just the ticket! Good gun, not fancy, has 1-48" twist with cut rifling .010" deep and measuring .540" deep lands & .560" grooves for PRB shooting. Dixie recommends 75 grains of FFg powder and .015' lubed patch for .530" round balls, which is a good start. Go for it!

Good rifle! It is very attractive, traditionally styled (although not a true replica by any means), accurate and built like a tank. I bought one in percussion .54 cal. along with their Great Plains rifle in .54 flint. The only negative for me with the Trade Rifle is that when I received it I found that it doesn't have that much drop in the stock and the higher comb makes it hard for me to get my (somewhat fat) face down low enough on the stock to quickly get a good sight picture . As I got it for primarily a hunting rifle, acquiring the sights as quickly as possible is important, so I have not fired it yet and am not sure if I will keep it. Really nice gun though, so if it fits you, I would say go for it. Since it is used, make sure you confirm that the bore is in good shape.

I never had the chance to fire one, but I have looked them over and shouldered one. The thing went to my shoulder like it was part of me. It was very hard to walk out of that pawnshop without spending money I didn't have....

Concidering the low price it's probably a good start. There are unfortunatly very few factory build rifles nowadays that are also period correct...and the next best thing above the rifle you mentioned would be a "Lyman Great Plains" and even that one, while a lot better, is far from correct. There is a quite nice Pedersoli "Hatfield Style" here on the used kit section that falls in the same league. A lot of guns that where good and period correct are not built any more :-(

cheers
Uwe

honeybadger45 said:
Hey all,
This is my first post. My local shop purchased a load of black powder firearms from an estate recently and is parceling them out for awesome prices. By awesome, I mean I picked up a never fired and in the box Paterson repop for 200.00+ tax. They have a never fired Lyman percussion trade rifle in. 54 for the same price,that feelsgood to me and is pleasing to my eyes. Are there any con's to this particular piece? Thanks in adavance!
The Lyman trade is more traditional styling for a better price as compared to the deerstalker and the great plains.And the over priced Thompson.
The great plains hunter in my opinion just is not better built to justify the extra $100 Lyman thinks it is worth.
Get the trade rifle you will like shooting it.
All rifles (as anything man made) can have a problem.
I have a 35+ year CVA mountain rifle that was a kit. Shoots every bit as good as a friends Thompson Center he paid almost twice as much for.
I have a small Mountainman store, I stock the trade for the same reasons. Reasonably priced and more traditional styling!

I got a Lyman Trade in .54 in July as a kit. Assembled it in my spare time. 1St trip to the range was today.

Couldn't be more pleased. I tried PRB and my own cast Minie. Both performed very well.

No way would I try to talk you out of buying it.

A great price for a great rifle. I've had three of them and each was nothing but reliable and accurate, so much so that the last one became the donor for a semi-custom plains rifle using the barrel, trigger and butt plate but with an L&R lock and cherry wood stock. At $200 you can't go wrong, so go for it!

What are you waiting for? Get that gun before she is gone. Great rifle at a Great price. You wont be disappointed. :thumbsup:

Back