• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Value of a .54 Renegade?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpshot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
A local gun shop has one for $350. It's in good shape and the bore looks good, but that price just feels a bit high to me. But I've never owned a Renegade so I don't really know what they're worth.

You have to remember that rifles sold in gun shops are marked up and sold at retail for a profit. That is business and the American way. If you look for a used Renegade or other nice muzzle loader sold privately by their owners you can do better on the price. You may get the gun shop owner to come down a bit, but at 350.00 dollars his margins are pretty close. Sometimes a store owner will sell something close to his cost, if you buy other gear or needed necessary's from him. There are so many ways to skin a cat if you find the cat you like! :thumbsup:

have you checked gun broker or auction arms to see what they have sold for?

If it is too high, how much too high is it? 50 bucks? you will pay tax, but no shipping. Plus you get to look it over and know what you are buying without having to hope the seller online is giving you a honest description.

Fleener

I would pay a little more for a used muzzleloader that I could actually inspect. I have bought a couple used ones online and I know I would not have bought them had I got to inspect them prior to. Pictures don't show all. You can knock at least $30 off the gunshop price, that puts you at a pre-shipping price if you bought online.

I did check gun broker, but the prices there are all over the place, so that's not much help.

I'm not even sure I can manage buying another gun right now, with Christmas coming up and various other things that have to be paid for. So I'm still trying to figure out if it's even possible at this point. I'll need to do a little more evaluating.

It doesn't help that it's such a nice looking gun. Temptation is a harsh mistress. :(

Buying in person allows inspection immediately, go or no go as pointed out.

Gunbroker, you have to pay shipping and if the gun is mis-represented, you paying shipping back. If UPS destroys the rifle on the return trip, then you get to fight with UPS. Seller has his money and you are out until UPS makes a decision.

Used M/Ls are not are not flying off the shelves, but you did not pick the best time of year to be buying.

Attempt to deal or you can try the layaway plan.

Sounds like you have to decide if you have the disposable money or not.

Try Armslist. I just picked one up for $210 shipped to my door with a scope on it. Is in excellent condition in and out.

Bought one last Fall from a private owner for $125. He could not find a buyer and kept it for me until he had a truck load delivery on this side of the state so he could bring it to me without either of us incurring s&h costs.

Used BP stuff does not sell well here, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
cowpoke1955 said:
If you are looking for an affordable .54, check out Midsouth Shooters. They have the Lyman Deer Stalker for $361.36: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000156033141 and the Lyman Trade Rifle for the same price: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000156032126 . You would have to pay shippimg, but these are brand new rifles. Just a thought :v

I used to have a Deerstalker. It was a good shooter but I didn't like the finish the applied to the stock. It got bumped in a couple of places and the finish chipped and flaked off. It looked good otherwise, just seemed to flake off when it took a bump. And it really didn't fill a need that my other guns didn't cover anyway, so I sold it last year to fund another purchase (my flintlock T/C Hawken, for which I now have .50 and .36 barrels). I found the Renegade attractive just because I've always liked the style of the gun, and they're rare around here. This was the first one I've seen in this area.

Last edited by a moderator:
The condition of the rifle, can change the price considerably. A nice Renegade in unfired, or like new, with nice wood, might bring a price of 350. or more, while a rifle with handling marks and small dings, will only bring 200. or so. In some cases, people think they are not worth much, and will sell one for 100. or less. The price is all over the place on old TC rifles.

Latest posts

Back