• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1841 Mississippi Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
Kit Carson thought this rifle was "about right" for the mountains- even though after the Rendezvous Era. Anyone own one? How accurate is it? Use it for hunting?

Had one years ago when they came in .58 rather than the .54 they originally. Additionally, they had the Minie ball rifling at that time which was wide, shallow lands and grooves. Since then, the makers have switched back to .54 caliber and deeper grooves, though I don't know what it actually is. Remember, they were military rifles and sighted that way. Better sights and some load work up might prove time and effort well spent. Some of our posters here may have more up-to-date info on the gun and can also help with your questions. Good luck.

Yes sir, the originals were made for PRB and issued to the Regiment of Mounted Rifles in time for the Mexican War. The most famous users of the type during that era was the 1st Mississippi Rifles who broke the back of Santa Anna's troop's charge at Buena Vista (Angostura), February 22, 1847, led by a young Lt. named Jefferson Davis. By the mid-1850's many were being converted to .58 caliber for the many militia units around the country. Ironically enough, the replicas were first brought out in .58 and later switched to .54 with a slower twist to duplicate the originals.

Wes/Tex said:
...led by a young Lt. named Jefferson Davis.

Make that Colonel...had a typographical-slip-of-the-lip! He was 38, so maybe not so young!! :idunno:

Wes/Tex said:
Yes sir, the originals were made for PRB and issued to the Regiment of Mounted Rifles in time for the Mexican War. The most famous users of the type during that era was the 1st Mississippi Rifles who broke the back of Santa Anna's troop's charge at Buena Vista (Angostura), February 22, 1847, led by a young Lt. named Jefferson Davis. By the mid-1850's many were being converted to .58 caliber for the many militia units around the country. Ironically enough, the replicas were first brought out in .58 and later switched to .54 with a slower twist to duplicate the originals.

I have an original that was rebored to .58 and fitted with a 2 leaf Springfield type sight. It has the wide 3 groove rifling for minie and is very accurate. It shoots PRBs very well too.

Duane

I have a de-farbed .54 Mississippi from James River; very nice gun. Minie balls are not particularly accurate but patched round balls do very well- it may deer hunt with me this fall.

My history might be off but I think Jefferson Davis had already been a congressman in the US government and resigned to become a colonel in the Mississippi Militia/ AKA Mississippi Rifles. He had sort of a big issue with Winfield Scott about getting the rifles. In his report he mentioned at the end of the battle that he went to a field hospital as he was wounded early in the day and fought all day in a wounded condition. In reading some of his subsequent writings it sounds to me like he may have had a long recovery or maybe never fully recovered. In any event the Mississippi Rifles played a key role in the victory.

The M1841 in my stable was bought about 10 years ago imported by Euroarms. It is in the original .54 and as well fitted and finished as most custom rifles I've seen. It is also extraordinarily accurate giving 1" groups at 60 yards with a .530" ball, .017" patch and 60 grns of 3F. I've killed only one deer with this wonderful rifle and it handles hunting loads with the same aplomb as target loads. Mine is not for sale.

Mines in the shop right getting 1/2 cocked fixed, I am picking it up in the morning. Manu. in 1978 by V. Bernardelli Sold originaly by Replica Arms. It is in .58 cal. I bought it in March from a feller at the Kalamazoo Living History show. And just havn't done anything with it. So now it's getting out of the shop and we'll see.

There used to be a shop down by Pasadena (Rebel Arms) that I'd drool over the Mississippi. Back then just never had the scratch to get one.

I bought a used one at an NSSA shoot back in the 90s and messed with it for several years. Loved the looks of the gun and killed a few deer and turkeys with it, but I never got it to shoot well and I tried a variety of bullets and balls. I believe it was a Navy Arms, maybe from the 80s. Sold it and wish I still had it. I remember reading an obscure CW reference that noted that a fair number of confederate cavalry used them (a lot of them weren't able to get carbines) because they were shorter than a standard musket.

GoodCheer said:
There used to be a shop down by Pasadena (Rebel Arms).

That was quite a place wasn't it? Don't recall seeing so many front stuffers in one place this side of Dixie Gun Works. Nice guys too. Never did hear why they packed it up but we lost a real fine source when they did.

I have several M41's all in original .54 cal. One in particular is my shooter that I bought back in '68. It is a Robins, Kendall & Lawrence,1847. The late Bill Large put a new .54 cal bbl (I still have the original) on around '70. It has a one in 66 trist, and shoots a .526 rb (I have an original gov't arsenal mould) the service load is 75 grains FFg. On occasion I shoot paper ctgs w/ a pre-lubed linnen patch. This type of ammunition was what was originaly issued to regular troops. I had my gunsmith put on the original sights. To this very day it is a tack driver! I also have the correct pouch, and flask (1845) the pouch was made from an original, and finally, all the original tools in the patch box(s). She is indeed a pleasure to shoot, and has been my primary shooter since the day I got her.
You cannot go wrong with a M1841 rifle.
On the historical note, the M41 rifles were issued to the 3rd Infy. upon is arrival in New Mexice in 1849. Also they were issued, and carried by the 1st Dragoons on the frontier.

The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

Back