• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had several. ..[around 4 or 5]... Thompson's Renegade and Hawkins. I recently discovered what it is about them that makes me have such a hard time shooting them and thusly keeping them.

the but stock is too straight ...or ... the drop is not enough for me and the dang things require me to press my check bone INTO the top of the comb of the stock and I struggle with obtaining and keeping the sight picture. also with fairly heavy charges with bullets ... the dang things just tear my cheek up.

I love the way they are built and the heavy stock as well as the robust manufacturing built in but ...

so any body else have this problem with them and if so what do you do to overcome it. like do you lower the comb area and so thin out the stock?

thanks for the reply's and hints.

For me it's the Hawken that's the cheek smacker.
The Renegade doesn't get me at all, :idunno:

So my fix was easy, Sell The Hawken and never buy another one except for parts.

was just over lookin at 'tow' and they have inletted stocks in maple ... fancy maple ... walnut. they have 15/16ths and 1 inch barrel channels and the drop at the heel is 3 inch's as well as a possible lop of 14.5 inch's.

are these stocks worth spending dollars and time on? sounds like I could get my TC's to fit with these stocks and they also have a full stock available which should be just spiffy.

Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply has half-stock and full-stock stocks for T/C Hawken and Renegade, they have more drop than a factory T/C. I talked to them, they are not a true drop in, you have to do a little wood work.

BT..Do women find you handy?
wood rasp, sand paper and wood finish is all you need.
cut off the tip and added horn cap.
This one the comb was dropped, wrist thinned, lock panels reshaped.
2- 3 evenings working wood... taking your time...Did 3 this way.
I shoot a low tang peep so I had lots of wood dust when completed.
What have you got to lose?

IMG_01221_zps2c5f1a79.jpg

That's the nicest Renegade that I've ever seen, I'd like to see a side view from the lock side.

Topic...58 cal GM drop-in flint conversion..finally!
go and click on my name(makeumsmoke)
click on users topics
click on topic....done

I found it. Nice work, that's the way they should look.

Great looking Renegade, good shooting.

Thanks,

I also found your post and gotta say that it may be the best looking Renegade I have seen. nice work. I have a 1/2 stock coming from tow so when it arrives I plan to make it into something special and just hope it comes out looking as nice as yours did.

Thanks guys...
I forgot to mention I slimmed the forearm and removed the rear sight.

Under all your renegades is one like this...
all you need to do is slim and trim.
There is no time like the present....Good luck and share your work...Dan

I have done some work slimming down stocks and lowering the cheek area, gave me a much better fit and came up beautifully to my shoulder with the sights aligned perfectly...but I will be getting a good quality maple stock from Pecatonica's for my next Renegade project...love those #4 maple stocks....maybe full length to boot! Just ordered a RPL L&R flint lock for my .56 cal smoothbore...should be here soon...xmas has come early this year! :v

Latest posts

Back