• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-Roundball Kentucky rifle projectiles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashelocoa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I once saw a print of a woodcut that displayed a variety of projectiles cast from Revwar era(approximately) moulds. There was once roundball represented and a host of others in various lengths and many sported deep rounded grease grooves. One's shape could only be described as two modern spitzers mated their bases with three broad grooves around it's middle. Has anyone seen this? I can't find it anymore...

What a found interesting about this was that there are numerous Revwar accounts of 200 to 400 yard shots taken, including a great account of Timothy Murphy knocking a British officer dead on his horse at 300 yards, with the third shot but still...it was a moving target to boot! Some ranges were measured, Col. Hanger most notably, by those who had nothing to gain by exagerating the distances.

Takning the ranges into account, and knowing the awful trajectory and and power loss of the roundball just shortly after 100 yards, is it possible that these other projectiles were used for long range work where the shape and added mass would be most potent? Or were they taken with roundball and the other moulds were just some tinkering gunsmith's concoction that never gained favor?

Ashelocoa

Also: It was noted in the text that the other projectiles were not regarded as accurate as the roundball, and the roundball was considered better since its economy with lead, powder, and accuracy.

Thoughts on this?

I have seen some pics of late 18th and early 19th century molds that had rb and "bullits" the sugarloaf, lozenge and double ball were a few of the early ones. I rather suspect that they were not very popular or usefull as little is written of their use. I think that if a spectacular shot were made with one it would have gained mention. What is interesting to me is the use of these early type bullets to try and justify Maxi balls and REAL bullets and such as being "traditional" which is like comparing a Knight scoped, bolt action modern ML to a Brown Bess and calling it a traditional type gun.

I think the projectile thing is a very overlooked aspect of how our "sport" got to where it is. 30+ years ago had the ML industry, production level gun makers, and game commisions stayed with the rb or a period type/style "bullet" pre-1840 or thereabouts I doubt that we would be haveing the pro/con inline debates now. They built/designed modern style high performance conical bullets to use in period type guns with modified rifling (shallow) and it was only a matter of time before some one would build a gun specificaly for their use...can you imagine a high tech modern in-line designed to shoot a patched rb or old Rev war sugar loaf solid bullit?

Back