• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to muzzleloaders & looking for information.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadcoyote

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like to take a minute to say hi to all you folks. It's my first post and I'm a long time hunter and target shooter. I'm looking to get a BP rifle for fun and taking advantage of BP season in California where I live. I don't care for the in-line, 209 type guns. I really want a traditional percussion style rifle with a nice long barrel on it. So a few basic questions if you'll bear with me:
1) are there any good, comprehensive books on BP shooting akin to a reloading manual?
2) I've been lurking a bit, I keep reading about how smoothbores are easier to clean. Does a SB still have practical accuracy out to 75 or 100 yards?
3). I've collected curio and relic and odd ball firearms for 20 years. I don't plan on a huge BP collection, maybe just one or two. I'd really like something unique (to me) live a .69 cal Springfield or one of the 1853 Zouave rifles in .58. My budget will be pretty low (~$300). Is this doable?

I realize now my post was worded oddly. I just want to clarify I'd be looking into a reproduction rifle, not an original at that price.

Brian1976 said:
1) are there any good, comprehensive books on BP shooting akin to a reloading manual?

121867.jpg

Do not know about the area where you live and cost of things. Don't be in a hurry, watch the classifieds on this site, pawn shops, gun stores, etc. The classifieds on this site has some very good deals and I usually see them after they are sold. I was not going to get into buying or building blackpowder guns like I had the modern cartridge type for the past 50 years. I lied because now I'm doing both. This stuff is fun and you don't break the bank shooting it.

Have you considered building one from a kit ? My first percusion rifle was a re-production of a .50 cal Hawken, half stock. I had fun building it and, later, changing parts and pieces, that I like better. I have way less than $300.00 invested.......Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everybody for the replies! I won't rush in, plan on at least reading a book first. My local bookshop has a guide to muzzleloading but it's from ~1985. I am interested if any of you guys have smoothbores experience.

Smoothbores are capable of hunting accuracy out to 50 yards or so with a round ball. Some can do well beyond that but they are definitely not rifle accurate.

Welcome aboard Brian. I think you can find a quality gun in that price range if you do a little looking. Also, if it makes you feel any better, my original plan was one or two guns. I've got seven now with plans for a few more! This stuff is addicting.

Jeff

Keep an eye on the "Guns For Sale" section on this forum. There are always a lot of guns for sale. Some are not cheap but often you can find something in your price range. Just keep checking and when you see something of interest, contact the seller for any questions that you may have. Good luck in your search. :hatsoff:

Click on this and see what you might find. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-classifieds/showcat.php/cat/9

Again thanks to everyone for the information since my last post. I knew In The back of my mind a SB gun couldn't compete with a rifled barrel, I just read numerous posts talking about how much Lower maintenance the SB's are.

I will try to plow through the link above. I took my kids to multiple book shops and gun stores today in search of a BP book like the one above. There's none to be found in my rural area. Ill have to hop on amazon and do a little shopping. Again thanks for the information and I look forward to learning from you folks in the future.

For top notch information on accurate shooting get Dutch Schultz's system. It will save you years of trial and a lot of errors. :hmm:

Black powder rifles and pistols seem to breed like rabbits. Every time ya turn around, there's another one in the safe. I have NO IDEA how they all got in there. :idunno:

I picked up a 1970's TC Hawken factory gun in .45cal for $350. It's in excellent shape. Deals are out there, you just have to be patient and when you see one for a good deal - don't muck around and low ball the guy for a week - BUY IT!

Just an update for everybody. I have been handling a lot of TC Hawken and Renegade rifles at pawn shops. they're nice but are all rusty and the shops want a lot of money for them. I put an add on Craigslist looking locally for a percussion muzzleloader and a nice gentleman contacted me saying he's a civil war history buff and has an unfired Zoli made Navy Arms Zouave rifle in .58 for $300. Said he bought it with the plan of doing re-enactments, put it up on the wall of his living room and it's been there ever since. I'm gonna go look at it next week.

Check the auction sites, like GB and GA. Those aren't good places to maximize top dollar for these things, so you can probably find a decent TC or Lyman in that price range. I'd advise you to stay away from the Japanese, Spanish, and Indian made guns in that range though. You only pay for quality once. You pay for junk every time you use it.

I'm in Visalia,Ca. my duaghter was in Solvang about a week ago and found a nice little bookstore there and got me a great book.Thier site is http://www.bookloftsolvang.com
805-688-6010
[email protected]

They have all kinds of stuff.The one i got was:Art of the old west,very nice book!They may have what your lookin for.

Latest posts

Back