• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC 56

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a TC 56 smoothbore at a flea mkt today.Looks all but unfired.I know TC made a .550 mold (I'm gonna keep an eye out for one.) but was wondering what the ones on here are using?RB or Conical?Might get wads and try some shot loads and see how it patterns.

a 550 ball is a bear to seat. i shoot speer .535 balls with 80 grains of goex 2f. i'm astounded at the accuracy at 70 yards. a fine firearm. haven't used it much with shot. one day i will get around to it.

I don't have a .56, but since .535" was recommended, Lee makes one. I have a .54, and use the Lee .527" that they used to make, and get good accuracy but have to use a wad and then a very thin patch, but have a .515" on the way, so hoping to be able to use pillow ticking or other thicker patches soon with equal accuracy.

I recently purchased one of those in pristine condition (bore is .560") and was also lucky enough to find a Lyman .550" RB mold for it on eBay. Two weeks ago, having read so many good things about the .535" RB in that gun, I purchased a Lee Precision mold. While both molds cast beautifully with pure Pb, the results, thus far, have been quite different. Of the two, the .550" (actual diameter) RB + .010" patch is much more accurate than the .535" (.5365" actual diameter) + .024" denim patch @ 25 yds. (50yds. is next on my agenda.) Neither was difficult to start or seat and neither shows any tendency to tear or shred patches even with 80grs. FFg. Indeed, they can, and sometimes have been used again. Btw, a 3/8" thick x 5/8" diameter lubed felt wad over the powder charge improves accuracy enough to justify the effort in making them. As for the .535" mold, why not try that diameter swaged RB before making a decision about a mold?

I have a 56 Cal Smoothbore also.
I like a load of 80 gr of 2F BP with two OP cards, then 1 oz of #6 shot followed up with a OS card. No fiber wad between powder and shot, as it blows out the center of the pattern. Get a nice spread at 30 yds.
I shoot 80 gr of 2F BP with ( 1/4 inch thick) thickness of a fiber wad atop the powder. A .010 lubed patch wrapped around a .550 RB.
keep all my shots well within a 6 inch target at 50 yds.
I do swab between shots.
Hope this helps you some.
Might want to contact Jeff Tanner about making you a 550 dia Mold. Type in Jeff Tanner He lives in the UK. Does great work and reasonable.
Vearl

410-er said:
Picked up a TC 56 smoothbore at a flea mkt today.Looks all but unfired.I know TC made a .550 mold (I'm gonna keep an eye out for one.) but was wondering what the ones on here are using?RB or Conical?Might get wads and try some shot loads and see how it patterns.
Agree with the .535" recommendation...the .550" is terrible IMO...I like a thicker patch with PRBs...personal choice.

(PS: A really good option for a T/C's big 1" x .56cal smoothbore barrel is to have it bored out to a conventional .20ga (.620" bore) for about $75 and then you'll have a terrific all around general purpose ML for very little investment)

Roundball,
Never thought about having the 56 cal smoothbore bored out to a 20 ga.
I can see where that would be more to one's liking.
Your ideas are always costing me money. :haha:
Vearl

almost exactly my shot and ball load for mine. tree rats quiver in fear of it!!! haven't had a shot at deer with it but no doubt it'll do the job with it's 4" group @ 50-60 yrds

Back