• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Difference in caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MosinRob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well caps are harder to find then ammo around here. I had a good amount packed away but without being able to restock I'm down to my last 300. So yesterday i went through everywhere I knew and no one had any. I took a drive out to cabelas and they had CCI #11 magnums. I've always shot Remington #11 in my guns. Do you think the CCI will make and difference in the gun accuracy wise? I couldn't pass up the deal, 1000 for $50. Thanks guys

I doubt you will see any diffrence in the accuracy of your gun. But if your expierence switching from Rem caps to CCI is like mine you are gonna love the increase in consistency of ignition. I wont shoot Rem caps anymore unless there is nothing else to be had.

In my. 32 I noticed increased accuracy when I did not use the magnums. I get the best from Remington.

Rob, could you provide more info on the caps that you bought? Eg. on-line purchase, Hazmat fee, in-store sale, etc.

I was at the local Cabela's store this past week in Glendale, AZ looking for caps. I spoke to employees and they didn't have 1,000 for $50 - at least they didn't disclose that to me.

This is a pretty much neglected part of loadin' discussions.
How about the folks doing long range and seeing differences?

I was looking on line and I saw that they were on sale but they showed to be out of stock. I bet there are a few stores around that still have some. The accuracy factor for me at least is fewer misfires and slightly faster ignition time.

I find the CCI Magnum to be the best domestic cap available. However in my area there are none to be found. You did good I would have jumped on them as well! Geo. T.

A friend of mine in a hunting club who has shot BP for 40 years, swares by RWS caps 1075 Plus (#11)by Dynamit Nobel, Germany. I purchased several hundred to try. These caps are ribbed so they grip the nipple...which is important!

Was in the Scheels store in Sparks (Reno), NV, last weekend and they had standard CCI No. 10 and No. 11 caps for $4.99 a tin. They did not have any magnum caps.

Folks can check the Scheels website for possible locations near their area. In a quick check it looks like Scheels does not sell caps over the inter-net.
www.scheels.com

Was also in Cabela's in Verdi (Reno) and they only had six or seven tins of CCI caps. Cabelas caps were priced at $3.00 a tin more than Scheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
cabelas in hamburg, pa had about 2 1000 packs and then some loose hundreds. they were on sale

I prefer CCI caps but I'll shoot whatever I can get. The only caps I've had problems with are the old CVA caps that Wally World sold years ago. I only use real black powder so it doesn't take that hot of a cap to ignite a load in my rifle. Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy some more caps. :hatsoff:

On my Deerstalker I've used old Rem #11's, CCI #11 mags, and Rem #10's with no discernible differences, but my Old Army only works well with the Rem #10's, which is due to fit.

MosinRob said:
Do you think the CCI will make and difference in the gun accuracy wise?

I don't shoot well enough to be able to blame or praise accuracy changes with cap swaps.

That aside, it's worth pointing out that there can be small differences in the size of caps. I've never put a mike on them, but the CCI's are slightly undersize for Lyman nipples. Rem, RWS and whatever else fit fine, but the CCI's sit a little proud unless you really mash them down. Easy solution is to turn down the Lymans slightly or swap to another nipple.

I use winchester #11 magnum caps with no promblem. I couldn't find CCI caps at the Gander mountain store in plastbereg ny. I stopped there on my way back from Canada.

I see no difference between cci and Remington #11 caps accuracy wise. Cci seem a little hotter. What kind of shelf life do caps have if stored properly?

PA16th said:
What kind of shelf life do caps have if stored properly?

At least 21 years. I have some that old, that go boom just as good as the caps I bought a couple of months ago.

Back