• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

douglas xx barrel that don't shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big bore 75

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i've had this barrel on my souther mountain rifle that my dad and I built 25 years ago, it was new back then and over the years has only had 300 rounds or so shot through it, only resently have I gotton serios with it, cal is .45 have used all combinations of patched round balls, and even mini's and maxi i and types of maxiballs the rate of twist is 1-66, I even had the barrel recrowned , so whats up with it? I'm about to just pull the barrel and plug and get to polishing out the lands and grooves with lapping compound,them cut the barrel and stock down 6" recrown and then see what happens i'm just don't get it. bb75

To many unknowns here. What do you mean, it don't shoot? Shoots a pattern instead of a grp.? Doesn't go off? Blown patches? Need more details. It may be a REAL easy fix.

I bought a Douglas XX a couple of years ago for $39 as a pig in a poke type arrangement.
Put it in a light bench gun (it's 42" long and 1 1/8" across the flats.
It will shoot one ragged hole at 50 yards.

Never shredded a patch, just shot like a champ.
The only other barrel that I've ever had shoot that well right out of the gate was a custom Goodoien barrel that I paid over 10 time that amount for.
one in 66 will not shoot slugs, too slow a twist. It is definitely a round ball barrel.

Suggest more experimentation.

Don't give up on her yet. :imo:

Same here, first flinter I stuffed together back in the 70's was with a Douglas .45 bbl. It is one rifle I took from work shop to the range and never had to touch the sights. Was dead on at 75 yards with 60 grains of DuPont shiny black and a patched .445 RB, it shoots as good today as it did the first time. Many a muley and goat (antelope to pilgrims) have gone under from that load.

Here's the deal the crown is gone after years of use and dad using a fiberglass rod it wore the muzzle and two inches off the 43 3/4" and that is the correct lentgh of barrel, dad said to sell her , but not so sure that I want to, going to give it some time and think about it some ,can do a few things first, but my bend to his way got way have to many toys now ,and need to reduce my invetory, so watch for the classified section who knows, the rifleing still looks good nice and crisp :curse:.bb75

That is a simple fix........ Cone the barrel at the muzzle. Plus it would make it easier to load. (That is, if you like the rifle & want to keep it)

Also you can rebarrel the rifle. A Douglas barrel is a good barrel, but IMHO there are lots of barrels now as good or better than a Douglas, otherwise everyone would be duplicating the Douglas to a "T".

Plus keep in mind if you sell it, you should tell the prospective buyer the barrel crown is worn from a fiberglass rod or sell it "as is", either way you will lose some $ because of the wear.

:imo:

This is what I sent toAussie Al in the Flint forum:
What's your powder charge?
FFG? FFFG?
What do the patches look like?
Torn?
Burnt?
Does the ball go down the bore smoothly?
Any rough spots?
Any sections tighter than others?
Is the muzzle in good shape?
Nice Crisp rifling at the muzzle?
Is the Muzzle coned, or belled out for easier loading?

Bingo! Birddog6 hit it. Cone it and it'll freshen up the barrel. Even if you put a false muzzle like TC on it (bore it out an inch for easier loading) and it'll be a lot better than the worn muzzle it has now.

well all got it done yesterday cut het down 3" I cut her an inch at a time and finally after 3" I found sharp crisp rifling all groves and lands mic out the same ,after coning reenstalled the front site in new dovetail and had to move the nose cap back and front and rear ram rod pipes , and seems to handle a bit better, just have to order up some balls of different sizes to see what she prefers now, and give the performance results , thanks for the help. bb75 :thumbsup:

I have a .45 douglas that shoots great as long as I wipe it out between each and every shot.1 wet patch, 1 or 2 dry ones.She will shoot like a champ then.Have you tried this? Mine likes 50fff at 25 and 50 yards and 60fff at longer ranges....

yep did all that after I cut the barrel 3" started taking measurments on the lands had a egg shape in it now i have everything exact with a sweat crown , the rifle is just waiting for some round balls to shoot her as of righnow my ot has taken a poo so I'm waiting on its replacement too. bb75

Latest posts

Back