• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where do u hunt/my area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishhunt

Pilgrim
Reaction score
whrere do you hunt? i hunt the chequamagon and northern highland forests of WI.where the deer are like ghosts that cannot be seen untill they are 30 to 60 yards away maybe. They show up from nowhere and there is just an ear or a leg or shadow that is moving,if you happen to be moving, they dissappear in a second, if your lucky, you see a flash of a tail and hear a thump of a hoove. popell sash,pine and cedar swamps, that smell like heaven. i like to sit still as i can be for hours and hours, so still that squerells have ran up my arm, jumped up on my hat, and ran down my other arm without even looking at me, jays have landed on my barrel,and fishers have run over my boots. there are porky's,bear,bobcats, timber wouvle's,partrige,snowshoe hare,and ravens that make the most errie sound that echo's threw the woods, to name a few. the season is just to short, for my church in the woods. fishhunt

I hunt turkey, squirrel and deer in
Florence or Marion County, SC. Plan to hunt rabbit near Pamplico, SC in a new spot that I found a few days ago while working his bee hives.

or

Deer and hogs in Pearl River, LA

I used to hunt lots of rabbits in Libuse, LA, hogs in Colfax, LA and deer in Big Cane, LA but I moved and those areas are too far for me now.

CS

whrere do you hunt? i hunt the chequamagon and northern highland forests of WI.where the deer are like ghosts that cannot be seen untill they are 30 to 60 yards away maybe. They show up from nowhere and there is just an ear or a leg or shadow that is moving,if you happen to be moving, they dissappear in a second, if your lucky, you see a flash of a tail and hear a thump of a hoove. popell sash,pine and cedar swamps, that smell like heaven. i like to sit still as i can be for hours and hours, so still that squerells have ran up my arm, jumped up on my hat, and ran down my other arm without even looking at me, jays have landed on my barrel,and fishers have run over my boots. there are porky's,bear,bobcats, timber wouvle's,partrige,snowshoe hare,and ravens that make the most errie sound that echo's threw the woods, to name a few. the season is just to short, for my church in the woods. fishhunt

Central North Carolina, thick bottoms & hardwoods...average shot is 35yds, usually can't see clearly past 50yds.
Similar experiences while sitting still in camo...one time a red tailed hawk and another time an owl, landed on a tree limb next to my tree stand, a broom handle away...never knew I was there...when the owl pitched down off the limb after a mouse or something, it's wing tips brushed the toes of my boots sticking out over the front of the platform.

Have had a squirrel come down a tree and brush my shoulder as he went past...have had various tufted-titmice and blue jays flit closer and closer on limbs peering at me trying to figure out what I was...ground sitting, I've had Does come closer and closer to a couple body lengths away, stretching their necks way out as far as possible trying to scent me...once a red fox, another time a gray fox came trotting past...stopped and stared at me from 10-15 feet away...after 30 seconds or so, resumed their trotting off to gosh knows where...not many other things in nature have been as rewarding as those special, private moments in the woods.

The best deer hunting image in my mind is:
At first gray light on a November morning, white frost on the leaves, a good healthy 8 pointer cautiously picking his way through the woods, stopping, looking, listening, gets so close I can see his breath, the long hairs on his muzzle...always amazed they can't hear my heart pounding...nothing like it.
:peace:

If I were a resident of Ill. I would stay in state, save the money on the non-resident tag (I know Wisconsin sticks it to the "*IB's" every chance they get), and find some property to hunt in the southern part of the state. S.W. Ill. has produced some B&C record book monsters over the past few years. If you have any friends or family down that way I would check with them for hunting opportunities. It may not be as fun as hunting that Boreal Forest up north, but it probably will yield greater results!

sad to say but most folks would like more folks from Ill. to think the way you do and not spend the money on the non-resident license.

Florida Panhandle-This is different hunting than the cypress heads, hammocks, and wet prairies of south/central Florida where I grew up hunting. Panhandle has hardwood swamps and hardwood uplands, much of it pretty thick. The swamp/forest deer are darker than the Florida peninsula savanna deer, too (and a bit more elusive :haha:) I really like the forested river floodplains, canopied over and a little more open than the upland hardwoods, where I can see deer from 60 to even 100 yards away (in a few spots). Sounds like North Florida is similiar to the North Carolina terrain you're hunting, Roundball.

I hunt the rain forests of SW Central Fl. where pre-season scouting (if the heat doesn't kill you) is a complete waste of time. You have no idea where to scout because you have no idea what areas will be accessible come middle of sept. Just as now it's rained over 18" this month and if we continued to have a lot of rain..I may not be able to get within 2 miles of areas that I hunted last yr..make that yr. before last..last yr. we had hurricanes which reminds me that they always hit or make a near miss just as archery season opens.
Aside from the wonderful weather..on a normal good morning..before daylight till a little after you are drained of all your blood by swarms of mosquitoes..soon as they leave..the yellow flies arrive..which I hate worse because Thermacell doesn't faze them..only thing I've found is to catch it and pour 100% deet down it throat..that or ease your hand close enough to give it a good strong thump. You ain't going to swat it and they can lite on your bare skin without you feeling it till the sting starts. Anyway you are constantly moving and scaring any deer off. When the yellow flies get filled up the no-see-ums move in and nothing known to mankind seems to deter them. The Skin so Soft or whatever that oily perfume is will bog them down in it while it stinks the woods up and gives me a head ache smelling it, but you can't see um..just have to wait till they bite. One yr. we were invaded by just regular knats..they would come out soon as the sun got above the trees..all they did was get in your eyes, ears, mouth and up your nose. People were hunting wearing safety goggles to keep them out their eyes..The only good years are the droughts..and it has to be at least a two yr. drought and the best yrs. is having a good burn along with the drought. Then you can actually walk around in the woods and get through the burnt brambles and dry swamps..and best of all no yellow flies or mosquitoes. Haven't had any good droughts lately.

well, I've gotten around, lived in 11 or 12 states, hunted in all of them I think....really learned to hunt in Pennsylvania in the 50s and 60s and a few early years of the 70s. It was a hunters's paradise, at least then. Right now, in Lousyanna, I don't hunt as much as I used to because of limited access. Hunt birds a little on public land and once a year join a big dove hunt on my boss's farm. I get to hunt once a year or less in south Texas on my other boss's ranch (which is chock full of big antlered deer and quail). When I lived in Oklahoma I hunted turkeys and quail all over the eastern half of the state and made a few trips to Nebraska to hunt pheasant. Shot a nice elk in Colorado just before moving away from there several years back, now....keep thinking I'll go back some day, but problably not...the quail are disappearing around here now and turkeys are scarce too on the public lands at least. Still plenty of deer around, but I miss the old days of bird hunting over a pointer (mine died a couple years back and I havn't had the heart to replace her).
dixie.bmp

I know what yer sayin bout bugs, fished alaska in july of 95. 26 bug bite's in 30 min. before i could put on my shu-bug jacket and hood,in long sleeves and pants, (had to hike from bush plane to camp) than the deet ate my watch. 18 miles south of danali natl. park, 75 mile's west of hywy 3. seen mckinley 4 out of 9 days.5 differant spiecies of fish all on fly's. i have hunted 5 state's, mostly upland game, some duck. nothin like a good dog, thats for shure! I know all the names IB"S, FIB"S, berrypickers, flatlander's ect. but never been called that to my face, when ppl meet me they say "you are just so da## nice" or maybe its because im a 274 lbs, 6'2''electritian/rigger. If you have ever been inside a walk in humidor, than you know what a ceder swamp smells like. fishhunt ::

Aside from the wonderful weather..on a normal good morning..before daylight till a little after you are drained of all your blood by swarms of mosquitoes..

Yep, skeets will be out archery and ML season in Fla. :shake:

I don't know where I'll be hunting this year. I moved back to Wyoming last October and have to wait for a while yet. When I lived in Gillette I hunted deer and antelope through the Powder River area. Hunted turkey and deer in the Black Hills and Elk in the Big Horns. Went after bunnies everywhere.

I now live on the other side of the Big Horns and don't know the areas. A member of the local club lives in the Powell area and has invited me to come up for chuker and pheasant when I become legal. There is more federal and state land this side of the Big Horns so I'll be getting aquainted with some of the areas.

I hunt Michigan, mostly the central part of the northern Lower Peninsula. We've got deer, rabbits, grouse, woodcock, etc., and lots of land to hunt. Hunters in Michigan should say little prayers of thanksgiving every day for the greedy lumber barons. They cut down the white pine and never paid a penny's worth of taxes. The land grew up in second growth with good cover for grouse, deer, etc., and the state owns huge tracts of land we can hunt. The southeast Michigan (Ann Arbor/University of Michigan) soccer moms are currently out of power, so our gun laws are reasonable, including "shall issue" concealed pistol permits. I spend a lot of time roaming the woods with an 1860 replica Army Colt on my hip and a .50 T/C Hawken flinter in my arms. No idea that I'm re-enacting anything or anyone, but it's fun. Another thing to appreciate about Michigan is that we have very few poisonous snakes. Having lived in Texas and Florida this is fine with me. Our only dangerous snake is the Massasauga rattler, now on the endangered list (not just when I have one in my sights). Haven't seen one in years. graybeard :front:

If I were a resident of Ill. I would stay in state, save the money on the non-resident tag (I know Wisconsin sticks it to the "*IB's" every chance they get), and find some property to hunt in the southern part of the state. S.W. Ill. has produced some B&C record book monsters over the past few years.

You've got it all wrong! We don't have any big deer down here! Got that? No big deer! J.R., I need to speak to you in private :nono:

A hunting buddy of mine wants me to go to Illinois with him this Oct. and bow hunt in the Shawnee National Forest.
Told him I would let him know in a couple of days.

Most of my deer hunting is in the states of Massachusetts and Connecticut. Most of the shots are close range, that is under 50 yards. Hardwoods such as oak, maple, birch are found. There are pine groves here and there as well.

I also hunt New Hampshire now and then. In the southern part, the woods are similar to Massachusetts. Rolling hills and mixed woodlands.

Back