• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do you cut ticking,how big should you make them,what can you lube them with.i know, alot of questions,sorry

Go buy you a micrometer an go check thickness of various ticking, most will have a measurement of .15 to .18 for pillow ticking. Then there is mattress ticking which is heavier at around .22 or so. Then there's linen which is .10 to .12 give or take. BTW, each bolt of material can be different in thickness so when you find some that works in your rifle buy at least 3 yards of it. Also if you scroll down or do a search you will find all the information on the various lubes we use. Mink oil, Spit, Hoppes #9 Plus Blackpowder Lube an Solvent are just a few that we use for our rifles. Some of us cut the patches round an some folk cut them square. The patch needs to be big enough to prevent any part of the roundball touching the inside of the barrel.

N1YDP said:
how do you cut ticking,how big should you make them,what can you lube them with.i know, alot of questions,sorry

Presumably you will be using it for your ball patch with proper lube.
I use a micrometer that has a rachet release for consistent tightening on the cloth. I leave in large sheets and rub my (home made) lube on the side that will touch the bore. These are foled up with lubed sides to each other. Those are put into zip lock plastic bags. For use, I just tea a strip about 2" wide and start loading. I cut at the muzzle. If you don't want to cut at the muzzle, for most common calibers, squares about 1 1/2" in size will do you fine.
For lubes, there are scores of personal favorites out there. Currently, I am using a mix of beeswax and whale oil. Other oils, like olive, peanut, castor, jojoba will work just fine. I'm sure others will chime in with many more ideas for lubes.

Ditto on what has already been said.

For me, I just buy the blue and white striped ticking. Make sure you wash it once or twice to get the sizing out of the material. After washing, I iron the ticking flat. It makes it easier for me to cut it into strips. I cut in the same direction the stripes run. Roll up the strips and toss into the shooting bag/box. I usually make my strips about 1 3/8" to 1 1/2". I cut the patches square. Works for me. :hmm:

In my area the pillow ticking is thin and is a polyester/cotton blend and patching material needs to be 100% natural. The mattress ticking on the other hand mics out to .018 compressed and is 100% cotton. Be sure that whatever you buy is 100% natural material.

N1YDP said:
how do you measure pillow ticking thickness?

Ken, The key to measuring cloth, which can compress under the strain of the measuring tool, is to develope a feel for it through practice.

The best advice I can give is that you find a patching material that works for you. The one that gives you the best results in combination with your preferred lube and ball size. Measure these patches, the ones your using.

When you're confident in your measuring technique then take your tool, whether it be a digital or dial caliper or a micrometer, and go to the fabric store and measure some of theirs.

Take some of your material along with you....they won't mind. Though the ladies working there will eye you with suspition...initially when you walk in and then again when you start measuring the fabric thinkness with tools. :haha:

Good luck and Enjoy, J.D.

jdkerstetter said:
N1YDP said:
how do you measure pillow ticking thickness?

Take some of your material along with you....they won't mind. Though the ladies working there will eye you with suspition...initially when you walk in and then again when you start measuring the fabric thinkness with tools. :haha:

If anyone asks why you are measuring, you can say you use the all-cotton (or linen) material for gaskets in an old time internal combustion engine, and it needs to be the proper thickness. Your statement is essentially correct and you don't have to explain that no, you aren't carrying a gun.

I take a Starett 1 inch micrometer with a clutch to the fabric store. To measure the cloth, I place a single layer in the micrometer and run it down until the clutch starts to click. I take that measurement as the "uncompressed" measurement. Then I snug the micrometer down on the fabric and take that measurement as the "compressed" measurement. When I snug the micrometer down, I do it using only my finger tips. Do not tighten the micrometer because you can spring the instrument and ruin it. The compressed measurement will tell you what the patch thickness will be when the material is compressed between the ball and the bore. The greater the difference between the uncompressed and the compressed measurement, the better it will seal the bore.

armakiller said:
Go buy you a micrometer an go check thickness of various ticking, most will have a measurement of .15 to .18 for pillow ticking. Then there is mattress ticking which is heavier at around .22 or so. Then there's linen which is .10 to .12 give or take. BTW, each bolt of material can be different in thickness so when you find some that works in your rifle buy at least 3 yards of it. Also if you scroll down or do a search you will find all the information on the various lubes we use. Mink oil, Spit, Hoppes #9 Plus Blackpowder Lube an Solvent are just a few that we use for our rifles. Some of us cut the patches round an some folk cut them square. The patch needs to be big enough to prevent any part of the roundball touching the inside of the barrel.

First of all the thickness of the patches are measured in thousandths of inches. So I agree with all that is said above, just use measurements of 0.015 to 0.018 inches for pillow ticking. Mattress ticking will measure 0.022 inches.

Please be aware that the material in the fabric store will have sizing that must be washed out. That's when the measurement will be the final thickness. Sizing will prevent the proper application of lubrication and thus affect accuracy. Personally I prefer cotton drill cloth from Jo Ann's fabrics. It consistently measures 0.017 after washing. I think its a tighter weave than pillow ticking.

"Currently, I am using a mix of beeswax and whale oil."

Where you getting the whale oil, or should I ask?

mto7464 said:
"Currently, I am using a mix of beeswax and whale oil."

Where you getting the whale oil, or should I ask?

I'm not getting it anywhere.
I bought a couple 16 oz cans from Brownell's about 1970 and have had them ever since. I never really had a use for the oil. Then the cans started rusting from the outside and I had to put the oil to work or lose it. When this batch of lube is gone, the whale oil lube will be gone for good as well. That is why I have a back up batch made with peanut oil.

Back