• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap Strong Ram Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N1YDP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
go to tractor supply and get fiberglass poles for eletric fence.they are 3/8 round and i think 4ft long for about $1.50.turn the ends down for the jags to fit and epoxy them on.

N1YDP said:
go to tractor supply and get fiberglass poles for eletric fence.they are 3/8 round and i think 4ft long for about $1.50.turn the ends down for the jags to fit and epoxy them on.

Without a brass rod guide or nylon, fiber glass will wear out your muzzle crown from friction and abrasion.

Without pinning the jag (both north/south and east and west) they will come off.

A cheap "POOR" ramrod to say the least, maybe a good tomato stake at best.

$1,000 rifle and a $1.50 ram rod, makes sense to me. Buy quality stuff.

Kind of like using bailing wire instead of barrel pins.

Unless you are using a muzzle guard a fiber ”glass” rod will wear out your muzzle crown faster than you can imagine. And with a muzzle guard, it will wear low spot into the rifling up and down the barrel just as quick. If you can’t use a good hickory ramrod to load your rifle than you need to learn how to properly use a ramrod.

N1YDP said:

Not a good idea IMHO. :shake:
TURN fiberglass? I do wood turning and would not subject my tools to trying that.
And, the muzzle wear will be destructive to your rifle.
And, as the surface of that rod gets worn your hands will take a beating from the 'fiber' in that glass rod. DAMHIK. :shocked2:
However, good on your for thinking outside the box. This idea just not a good one.
Find some Delrin. Unbreakable and won't wear on yer rifle muzzle.

N1YDP said:
go to tractor supply and get fiberglass poles for eletric fence.
Bad idea and if you had searched the forum , you'd see there are many discussions about not using fiberglass. :wink:

Not wood? Really? Straight grain hickory makes the best ramrods and has for hundreds of years. Enjoy, J.D.

What do you guys think of the 3/8 Delrin 48" rod sold by TOTW?
It's about $15.
I'm looking for a good range rod

No! Do Not waste your powder money!

RMC MFG or rmc oxyoke..will cut and tap a brass rod to custom length .
don't forget a bore protector!

N1YDP said:
how can fiberglass hurt steel?

Simply put, fiberglass is nothing more than glass fibers suspended in plastic. The glass strands are formed from silica based material. Silica is harder than steel and can abraid it.....think silica paper, or sand paper.

The testing's been done. Save yourself some grief and don't use it. Enjoy, J.D.

Now Dan, as a mom at an AYSO soccer match told me once, "This a league for children of all aptitudes". Be gentle. :grin:

Oh! Note to self: Update list of names of people not to buy a gun off of. :hmm: Enjoy, J.D.

N1YDP said:
i guess someone should call t/c worn them.

Likely they will just offer to sell you one of their aluminum replacement rods. Which, by the way, isn't recommended either. :shake: Enjoy, J.D.

Hmmm.....How many ramrods would one have to make to make millions of dollars???? :hmm: I better get busy.

Look, you asked the question. The others here are trying to educate you....or prevent somebody else reading from making the same mistake.

Enjoy, J.D.

N1YDP said:
i guess someone should call t/c worn them.

In all honesty you have 16 posts or so and have limited knowledge, folks have tried to educate you with out any success, do as you wish.

Your rifle is not ours.

Forrest Gump, "stupid is as stupid does:.

I hear tomato stakes work well as does re-bar.

Back