• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

conical + overcard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To address the "solution" part of your query . . .

I was concerned that the second barrel's projectile from my Kodiak Safari .72-caliber rifle would be recoil-jarred to a dangerous position. Here's what I did.

1. Ruled out patched RBs as being too easy to move with heavy loads.

2. Bought a custom conical bullet mold. Mold drops 775-grain bullets @ 30:1. Three driving bands and two lube grooves, driving bands [from base to point] ascend their diameters. Bullets are pan lubed with SPG. Bullets are mallet loaded.

3. To verify bullets were not moving from recoil - or, for that matter, from magic spells - I loaded left/second barrel then I and a friend fired 20 full power shots from the right barrel. After every shot I checked for left barrel's bullet movement with marked rod. No movement. The following week we did the same, reversing barrel tested. No movement.

4. After verification process, I adjusted propellant charge downward and regulated the barrels.

5. When hunting from the ground, I take my short starter, mallet, and stainless steel loading rod kind've stuffed into my belt. Although I have not yet reloaded in the field, from my range experience, it would be a five-minute job - that is, no possibility that a third shot would be at an animal I missed with the first two.

Hope this helps.

Here is the maxi bullet I made a mold for. It weighs over 600 grains and is very accurate to 100 yards in the Navy Arms Hawken Hunter.
Mike D.

I fill all those grooves up with oxyoke bullet lube.
For hunting, pre-measured loads are made up in plastic tubes with a stopper in each end. A musket primers goes in a snug fitting hole in the top stopper, wad of cotton, 150 grains of 2F Goex and a pre-lubed maxi with another stopper in the end.
Makes for a quick reload. Mike D.

150 grains of powder and a 600 grain bullets makes for some fun shooting I would bet. I won't go over 90 grains of 2f with the 385 grain bullet I am using and I much prefer to shoot 70 grains.

I also often wondered why those maxi bullets need to have so much lube on them; any insight on that?

Always figured it was a matter of having an elongated axial dimension to maximize alignment and big grooves allow that to happen while keeping the weight down. And with lube on soft lead bullets the Mardi Gras principle applies: If you don't have excess you don't have enough.

I have no idea about lube volume necessary actually, I just copied the maxi design of one I had for my .50 caliber, with a bit of nose shape change,to the .58 cal.
The group at 100 yards was round and a bit over 2 inches if memory serves me correctly. All holes were perfectly round indicating the bullet to be very stable, at least to that range.
I used a past pad and the gun is a real bear, recoil wise with that load, to shoot from the bench. Mike D.

I have a bunch of 58 cal TC Maxis (555 grains) and Maxi-Hunters (560 grains), and I can pretty well imagine what recoil is like from your NA Hawken Hunter with 150 grains of 2f. That's a light rifle, and even in a heavier rifle 120 grains of 2f is an eye opener with the TC's.

In cartridge rifles I have an 8# Sharps Officers Model in 50-140 Winnie that flat pins your ears with 650 grain slugs and 140 grains. That's probably more on the order of what you're experiencing and it's not fun from the bench.

Latest posts

Back