• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas "Sporterized" Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZbpBurner

54 Cal.
Reaction score
A while back I bought what I've been calling a .54 cal. percussion Lyman Deerstalker. Beyond the Investarms stamp & Proof date stamp, I never paid much attention. Looking again, it doesn't have any Lyman references in it anywhere. I had always wondered about the checkered stock, and just figgered the previous owner had monkeyed with it some, and also maybe removed the cheekpiece, too.

While looking up background for a Cabelas Hawken I'm in the midst of buying, I came across a Cabelas "Sporterized" Hawken. It has the black iron triggerguard nosecap, & thimbles, sling swivels, and the very same stock checkering as mine. The Lock plate design is the same as on my GPR & the set triggers are identical to the GPR, too.

So, my findings give my Hawken a little boost in self esteem, since it's not really a "lowly" Deerstalker anymore, but now a snootier Cabelas "Sporterized" Hawken. It wouldn't surprise me if the barrels are interchangeable between Deerstalker & the Cabelas.

I also stumbled across the Cabelas 'Sporterized' carbine version, which has only a single rod thimble & I'm guessing the barrel is somewhere around 24". Never paid much attention, but I don't ever recall anyone ever mentioning having a 24" barrel percussion carbine.

Here is my "buggy carbine".

vmry8l.jpg

The Deerstalker's have a 24" barrel. Mine has 2 barrels though. It's a newer model bought for me at Christmas last year.

I like the shorty carbine, and have considered something really short (~18") for hog hunting in thick stuff. I'm not sure if I'd stick with .50 cal or move up to .54 for it.

rodwha said:
The Deerstalker's have a 24" barrel. Mine has 2 barrels though. It's a newer model bought for me at Christmas last year.

I like the shorty carbine, and have considered something really short (~18") for hog hunting in thick stuff. I'm not sure if I'd stick with .50 cal or move up to .54 for it.

Shows what I know about the real Deerstalker, since my .54 Cabelas has a 28" barrel.

24" or even 18" gives me something to think about, although it shoots so well now as-as, thaqt I kinda hate to mess with it.

Latest posts

Back