• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my newest rifle today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, Ol' Supercracker finshed my rifle and I went to get it today.

It's a Chambers Penn Fowler stock with a .54 46" Long Hammock round bottom rifled barrel.

Here's a video. Click on it to see it.

He treated me right. When I went to get it, we shot on his private range, he made the sight adjustments right on the spot, and then he took me on a tour of his ranch! Now, that's service!

:wink:

Sorry, didn't mean for this to be in this part of the forum...thought I was in the GENERAL section...

Always thought a long skinny Fowler wood make a good rifle!
Very nice :thumbsup:
Fast ignition too! :grin:
Congrats!..... nice work Supercracker! :v

blackpowderscout said:
He treated me right. When I went to get it, we shot on his private range, he made the sight adjustments right on the spot, and then he took me on a tour of his ranch! Now, that's service!

Yeeeahhhhhh.............. the reality is not quite as grand as all that. More like we shot a a piece of plywood in front of a pile of dirt and then, on the way out, checked to see if one of my Heifers was calving yet while the SUV sized Hereford Bull tried to kill us. But, he's blind so he's really really bad at it, which kind of makes it ok.

It did shoot a really good group. We just never could seem to get the group moved to where we wanted it or figure out exactly why.

Start @ 25 yards, Solid bench, sand bags, work dif loads, powder, ball size, lubes, etc. Find the most accurate load. Leave the sights so the ball hits off the bullseye.... Hitting the bullseye & edges of it messes up the sight picture, so best not to hit it at all. You can move them later when you find a load.

You should have a group of 3 holes touching @ 25 yards before going out to 50 yards & working it down from there. a 2" group at 25 yards will be 6 +" at 50 yards, so why bother with that. I use butcher paper & put 9 black 1" dots on the paper, 3 shots on each dot, change ? whatever, 3 more shots on dif dot. Write what you are doing down on Every group. Do about 9 groups, take the best one & that data & start over & refine that data to work the new load.

I see some guy shooting 35 times at one bull & guessing where it is hitting. You gotta be joking... :shake: You need to KNOW & not be going in circles....

If you don't have 3 touching at 25 yards, you don't have a load & need more work to achieve that first. Or you have shooter issues to deal with & correct.

Keith Lisle

Shane....I'm trying to make you big time! You can't sell yourself short. Everything I said was true. :blah:

Kieth...yep. That's how I, and Supercracker too since he didn't say any different, start things off.

I've got a real good load already worked up. I'm happy with it at 25 and 50. But I'm hitting about 7 inches high, although nice and tight for my eyes, and no amount of filing on the rear sight was bringing it down. I know I'm doing something silly.

This is about a dozen shots. Disregard the flier, it was actually the very first shot but I settled down and got to work after it.

You are going to need a front sight about 1/16" taller than what you already have. Or remove allot or meat from the rear sight. Don't know what sights you have, but sometimes there are two dif. heights made of the same sight design & you can put a lower one on the rear, or taller one on front. Check the TOW catalog as they show sights full size in it.

It is definitely shooting consistent. If that was 50 yards, you have a load that is working.

Keith Lisle

Dear BPScout: That is an exceptionally attractive rifle, nice and slim. Please tell us the weight of the piece. Woodbutcher

Your right. A taller front sight would make it better but I don't think I'll be replacing either for a couple personal reasons.

But, I will be removing more from the rear to get it on the money.

I'm not going to spend much time on it right away though. Although that Patch/Ball/powder combo (.015,.530, 90 gr FFFg) is pretty good, it's a pain to load. There's no way I would be able to keep the ramrod in one piece very long, :) . I've got some different RB's coming in the mail and I'll figure out an easier loading combo that is just as good. That's one of the reasons we stopped messing with it then. I knew I'd have to start over anyhow.

Thanks for the advice! :patriot:

Most of the time, the tightest & hardest to load is going to shoot the most accurately & consistently..... or it always has for me. However, I am not going to stand there & beat it to death loading it every time. Two hand operations were enough, not using them for hammers any more.

So working a more reasonable loading, yet fairly accurate load is my quest now & I have always been able to obtain that. Sometimes just takes a few sessions, however a couple times it took many sessions at the range.

Most important of all is Documentation & being consistent, or you end up re-doing allot of loads & making errors & etc. LOTS of target paper, shoot the smallest dot you can see well & do not hit the dot. Shoot groups of 3. Write on each target, powder, charge, lube, patch, distance, date, swabbed bore or not & with what & how many times. Everything makes a dif. in finding a good load.

Keith Lisle

Congratulations!

I like it a lot.
This is something I need, too sometime in the future. :grin:

Good luck with it.

Silex

I'll try to weigh it this week. Bu the feel of it it's lighter than my TVM fowler but real close to a couple 42" straight barreled rifles I have, for what that's worth....

You need a taller front sight. How much taller? You will have to do a simple calculation to know that. Here's how: First measure from your rear sight to your front sight in inches and write that down. Then calculate the distance from your muzzle to the target in inches and write that down. Now measure how much you need to move your group down in inches and write that down. Now, divide the distance from your rear sight to your front sight by the distance from your muzzle to the target. Take this number and multiply it by the distance you want to move your group down. The resulting answer will be the additional height you will need on your front sight. Always buy a sight that is just a bit taller than what you need so you can file it down to bring your group to exactly where you want it.

Here's an example: Let's assume that you are shooting at 50 yards and your group is 6 inches high. The distance from your rear sight to your front sight is 26 inches. 50 yards is 1800 inches. So, first you divide 26 by 1800 and get 0.014. You multiply this number by 6 and get 0.087. Now you go to the store and buy a sight that is 0.087 inches taller than the one that you have. if it were me, I'd buy one that is at least 0.090 taller than what you have. That will move your group just a bit low at 50 yards and you can carefully file just a bit off at a time until you bring your group up to where you want it.

Nice work Shane. Like your architecture. Smooth transitions and all the right curves. :wink:

The whole thing is a little shiny for my taste.....but there's no accounting for taste, is there? :grin:

I can appreciate all the work that went into those mounts....belive me. Nicely done. Really nice. Enjoy, J.D.

Stophel said:
That rear sight is HUGE!!!! Cut it down. Way down. :wink:

LOL, Actually, that picture is a little deceiving. That's just the side of the sight that you see. I don't want to call it a buck horn cause it isn't at all but it's just the decorative bit that you see.

There's still plenty left for filing though!! That's for sure. It'll come along, I'm positive of it.

Bill, that was waaaaay to much math for this cracker. Besides, I am NOT putting a new front sight on this. No need to, and I really like that one. I'm sure your way will work great, but I'm just going to stick with what I got and work with the rear sight adjustments.

blackpowderscout said:
LOL, Actually, that picture is a little deceiving. That's just the side of the sight that you see.

Um, if Chris did as I did and followed that video link into Shanes photobucket account and looked through the pictures....(You didn't think I lumped all that praise on Shane base on the one picture in your post, did you?).....he likely saw the quartering shot of the gun from the rear.

Now, I don't know if Shane worked that sight down before he gave you the gun, but if he didnt'.....Stophel is right.....it's huge!!! :shocked2:

But, better too high than too low. :thumbsup: Enjoy, J.D.

Back